Talk

Advanced search

Now why would Nigella's fairy cakes slump?

(24 Posts)
onebatmotherofNormanBates Fri 17-Oct-08 17:39:41

Why? Why? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

Recipe followed to letter. Only weird thing was a few drops of red food colouring. And dd might have put a tablespoon of baking powder in rather than a teaspoon..but I'm sure that usually happens and they've been fine.

It's like a massacre here.

pointygravedogger Fri 17-Oct-08 22:42:54

because nigella's recipes are not very good?

seeker Fri 17-Oct-08 22:46:08

Because you are not wearing a pashmina and your nails are not painted and you are not behaving like a tart.

seeker Fri 17-Oct-08 22:47:10

Or, might you have used plain flour by mistake?

I've made them hundreds of times often helped by people under 5 and they have neve gone wrong.

snickersnack Fri 17-Oct-08 22:48:45

She's erratic, is Nigella. I treat her recipes with the utmost caution. Her fairy cakes always sink when I make them. I've never forgiven her for stitching me up quantity wise when my prospective in-laws came for dinner and we had to share pudding because it only fed half the number of people she claimed.

But have just made the most amazing chocolate pot things from Nigella Express that made me very happy.

hobnob Fri 17-Oct-08 22:50:46

Too much baking powder would cause cake slumpage, even for the Goddess herself, because it makes them rise like there's no tomorrow and then they sink. So that's my verdict. Of course, lack of pasmina-wearing is also a likely explanation, and a trip to Rigby and Peller might also be in order.

seeker Fri 17-Oct-08 22:51:14

I find her sweet recipes are fine - it's her savoury ones I don't care for.

I have used her Victoria Sponge recipe for cup cakes - it fits into 12 muffin cases to make huge and very delicious cupcakes.

hobnob Fri 17-Oct-08 22:52:29

What chocolate pot things, snickersnack? I want to make them.

onebatmotherofNormanBates Fri 17-Oct-08 23:47:09

oooh, ooh, you're all here! Sorry, my threads list is v long and this was hiding. How rude of me.

I WAS wearing a fucking pashmina and lip-licking! I was!

hobnob - you must be right. I usually overdo the bp in a sponge but can see it wouldn't work with little baby ones having a sudden growth spurt. Thank you.

I find her pretty good on the whole. Sweet things are better though, aren't they?

BloodshotEyeballsintheScarySky Fri 17-Oct-08 23:54:30

I'm going to give her fairy cakes a go. My recent attempts have all had big flattish nipples... hmm

seeker Fri 17-Oct-08 23:58:23

Ah, but what colour were your finger nails?

And, as a complete non sequiteur - are you now a school govenor?

onebatmotherofNormanBates Sat 18-Oct-08 00:23:15

Oh god, seeker - I was 24 freakin hours late with application (poorly child, also hadn't realized the deadline was, you know, a deadline) and head called me to say that "in fairness to other parents who had managed to get their apps in on time...".

I was very cross. Own fault, but still, it took me suuuuch a long time to write that crap grin.

Might find out about being an ILEA governor..

onebatmotherofNormanBates Sat 18-Oct-08 00:23:46

and thank you for asking btw grin

Quattrocento Sat 18-Oct-08 00:25:52

I've never yet got a Nigella recipe to work. Dunno why because I lurve Nigella. Sadly all the Delia recipes work. Does that mean I am more of a Delia than a Nigella?

<crisis of confidence emoticon>

pointygravedogger Sat 18-Oct-08 10:26:39

I used to like nigella. Until I realised what a big mad fraud she is.

GentleGarotter Sat 18-Oct-08 10:36:08

Her head moves but her hair does not.

Buy the fairy cakes from Tesco. Tis less hassle.

NorthernLurker Sat 18-Oct-08 10:40:21

I find Nigellla's sponge cake works ok and I've also made the sour cream chocolate cake and the Nutella cake with success ( proper domestic Goddess me grin)

<<reaches up to shelf for Nigella and Nigel Slater and Delia both fall off the shelf causing severe bruising to both smug eyes and consequently an inability to work my KitchenAid)

onebatmotherofNormanBates Sat 18-Oct-08 11:41:07

her sponge/birthday cake works every time for me

lol northern

ooh ooh where's the nutella cake? is it in the dom. god book? I've only got HTE.

<passes quattro nice acrylic cardie now the nights are drawing in. And M&S voucher for a Per Una top/skirt combo for her Christmas outfit>

NorthernLurker Sat 18-Oct-08 12:15:42

yes it is in the domestic goddess one - it's called Torte Giandula I think and was yummy!

snickersnack Sat 18-Oct-08 22:23:06

Nigella Express, hobnob - here. And I don't particularly like chocolate, but these were gooooooood. I have v mixed feelings about her. She's let me down heinously on a couple of occasions, but I would happily cull most of my other cookery books for some of the Nigella Express recipes, which jabe transformed our weekday eating habits. Even dh is capable of whipping up a quick and delicious chilli from there.

onebatmotherofNormanBates Sun 19-Oct-08 00:26:01

i read that as torte glandula. Which is plainly wrong.

Snickersnack your description of the express book has made me want to buy it. That's exactly what Ineed, weekday recipes.Thanks. sorry space bar not working too well..

snickersnack Sun 19-Oct-08 11:05:14

Do, it's well worth it. I have heaps of recipe books, most of which barely get used, but I do use that one lots and lots. The blackened salmon is amazing!

NorthernLurker Sun 19-Oct-08 14:32:45

That does sound good - might ask for it for christmas

onebatmotherofNormanBates Sun 19-Oct-08 15:57:38

oooh I'm the high bidder on an Ebay one...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now