Talk

Advanced search

Cakes - normally how short notice can you have one made?

(20 Posts)
LadyOfWaffleIsScaryEnough Thu 16-Oct-08 22:52:40

I am totally frigging up the cake mum is making me make and DH says (like I wanted to do in the first place) to order one, but I need it for the 26th... is this normally too short notice? I know it probably varies but I can't ring any bakers until tomorrow and I won't be able to sleep ( silly I know)

Thanks

Olihan Thu 16-Oct-08 22:56:33

10 days isn't too bad, I don't think. It's tight but not overly so. Realistically you need 24 hours afetr baking to allow the cake to set, then maybe a couple of days to ice, depending on what it is. It will just depend on how busy they are.

Have you got someone in mind? If you were in Cheshire I'd offer to do you one but Berkshire's a bit far to deliver grin.

stealthsquiggle Thu 16-Oct-08 22:58:51

Should be OK - you might have to compromise a bit - what occsaion is it for?

(Olihan don't say that (24 hours for cake to set) - I have one to do for Saturday and I haven't started yet blush)

Olihan Thu 16-Oct-08 23:02:32

You'll be fine if you're not carving it up too much. Leaving it for 24 hours just stops it being quite so soft and crumbly. (Best make it first thing in the morning though wink grin).

stealthsquiggle Thu 16-Oct-08 23:35:06

I know - and it is going to be carved (not too much though) - I would normally have made it yesterday but I was away. I will have to make it in the morning (when I am supposed to be working), put it in the freezer as soon as it is cool, carve decorate tomorrow evening once DC are in bed hmm

LadyOfWaffleIsScaryEnough Thu 16-Oct-08 23:57:39

No one in mind, I have never ordered a cake before. Does it make a difference if you order sponge or fruit? 'tis definaly a shame I don't live in Cheshire, would rather pay a MNer to make one

Olihan Fri 17-Oct-08 13:57:27

Sponge is quicker - less making time and much less time in the oven.

StealthSquiggle, how are you getting on?

stealthsquiggle Fri 17-Oct-08 17:29:43

Cake baked this morning and in freezer (it would have been better if I had buttercreamed the house bricks together before I froze them, but never mind)

Plan is - buttercream them. Go to pub. Come back from pub and put children to bed. Carve stack of house bricks into the shape of a cosy coupe and decorate. Sleep.

(wake up in morning, take one look and go "OMG what have I done?". Engineer it such that any damage appears to be DH's fault as he will be delivering cake to party and I will be on a 'plane at the time)

Does that sound like a plan?

Sponge is probably going to be easier to order at short notice

Olihan Fri 17-Oct-08 20:17:42

You're making a cosy coupe shock. Blardy hell grin.

Good luck, plan sounds foolproof grin.

Do you make many cakes?

Olihan Sat 18-Oct-08 09:10:25

LoW, I've just had a thought. Marks and Spencer do fruit cakes that are marzipanned and iced with white icing and piped around the edges. They're for wedding cakes and they come in lots of sizes up to about a 12 or 14 inch.

Even if you don't want the white icing, you could cut it off and re-ice in the right colour.

Here they are.

LadyOfWaffleIsScaryEnough Sat 18-Oct-08 09:21:13

Oh yes, I forgot about that! Thing is the decorating... and I wanted a bible shaped one. Mine nearly snapped moving it last night! shock I wonder if I could whip up a sponge bible...

Olihan Sat 18-Oct-08 10:59:46

Sponge bible would be easy enough. Do you want it open or shut?

jura Sat 18-Oct-08 11:11:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyOfRoffle Sat 18-Oct-08 13:42:06

Open, that's what my 'one bottle of brandy' fruit cake is

stealthsquiggle Sat 18-Oct-08 15:59:21

Slightly wonky cosy coupe duly assembled as planned. My DD recognised and wanted it, so I am hoping that will go for the recipient as well.

LoW have you given up and ordered a cake yet grin?

Olihan Sat 18-Oct-08 21:16:23

What about round M&S cake with open bible modelled out of icing on the top? Less work but will stil look good.

Right at the bottom, far right, like this?

Olihan Sat 18-Oct-08 21:17:33

LOL @ wonky cosy coupe, that'll be the vino, then. I bet it looked straight to you last night grin.

Olihan Sat 18-Oct-08 21:19:37

LOW, that webpage I linked to is a cake maker who lives in Caversham, Reading - it's fate, I'm telling you grin.

Waswondering Sat 18-Oct-08 21:22:19

Costco need about 24/36 hours notice - they do an open Bible one too and will put any message on it . . .

Cakes are enormous (easily do 40 odd) and iirc £10.99.

LadyOfRoffle Sun 19-Oct-08 16:10:38

Oh yes, Reading - excellent! Resorted to about plan E (by now!) and giving a 'sponge' (have actuallt found out it is a madeira - thank god before I tried to ice a farking sponge!) a go. Failing that we are going to COstco on Friday so shall order one if it comes to it. Thanks! (LoW by the way - adjustd my name!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now