Talk

Advanced search

anyone know what to do with a deer in order to be able to eat it?

(41 Posts)
LadyLaGore Thu 16-Oct-08 16:36:07

just found a young deer caught in wire fencing in garden... we tried to cut it free but it panicked and snapped its neck. we've now hung it upside down in the barn and slit its throat to bleed it <<bleurgh>> - anyone know what we're sposed to do with it? long shot i know... is there a cluelessfarmersnet.com?wink

trefusis Thu 16-Oct-08 16:37:13

Message withdrawn

forevercleaning Thu 16-Oct-08 16:37:41

you need a bloody great big roasting dish and oven for that!

It has to be hung for a while, for the meat to 'rot' down, something to do with maggots my Dp tells me. His GD used to be a gamekeeper.

Do a Google search for venison, should hopefully give you some ideas

dustystar Thu 16-Oct-08 16:38:46

You might want to check that you are allowed to keep it at all. There are some strict rules around dead deer where i live - not sure if its countrywide.

JulesJules Thu 16-Oct-08 16:40:01

I think definitely cut it up a bit.

here's one...hope your not wanting to eat it tonight wink

mdc.mo.gov/hunt/deer/deer_hunting/venison.htm

Kathyis6incheshigh Thu 16-Oct-08 16:45:40

Aren't you meant to eat the offal immediately though, esp the liver?

Oh I'm sure it's called gralloching when you gut a deer, by the way.

Marne Thu 16-Oct-08 16:47:48

Take it to your local butcher and get them to chop it up for you grin

VinegARGHHHTits Thu 16-Oct-08 16:50:29

I was going to say you have to kill it first but i see its already dead.

Hugh ferney Whittingstall would probably know what to do, if not try your local butcher?

LadyLaGore Thu 16-Oct-08 17:33:58

oh man, we just went out and slit the belly open to get the stomach and guts out. foul! pierced the stomach and the green stuff inside was rank! the kids were fascinated of course.

have spoken to good local butcher - am taking it to trhem in the morning.

am not cut out for this butchery lark

LadyLaGore Thu 16-Oct-08 17:36:56

took the bucket of blood and guts far out into the field and dumped it there as bin men arent due for nearly 2 weeks <boak>

BloodAndMutts Thu 16-Oct-08 17:39:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Merrylegs Thu 16-Oct-08 17:44:01

Must be the evening for game tonight - dog has just come trotting up lane with a big juicy pheasant in his mouth. Easier to deal with then a deer. Will go nicely with the chips I have in the oven already. Maggots get to pheasants pretty quickly, even if they are hung, so prob best to get that deer butchered asap.

LadyLaGore Thu 16-Oct-08 18:15:57

[grossed out but strangely proud]

have busy day tomorrow now:
school run
take dead deer to butchers
go to cbt
go to friends house for drink before she leaves for registry office to get married
give blood
pick up kids from school

might have to leave Getting Ready For Holiday for saturday. and Getting Chicken House Finished might have to wait till after holiday.

LadyLaGore Thu 16-Oct-08 18:16:33

oh shit! im supposed to man the school uniform shop tomorrow mornign too... bugger.

LynetteScavo Thu 16-Oct-08 18:18:16

You are not supposed to eat it!

You were supposed to dig a hole and have a funeral for it!

[townie emoticon]

Flamesparrow Thu 16-Oct-08 18:18:38

shock

Kathyis6incheshigh Thu 16-Oct-08 18:20:38

Are you allowed to give blood after drinking alcohol??? I am imagining the poor transfusion recipient unable to work out why he feels so drunk.

Flamesparrow Thu 16-Oct-08 18:21:44

Very impressed with you

Swedes Thu 16-Oct-08 18:30:37

I have butchered many a red deer. But I would receive a whole side or two sides of venison and they were skinned and beheaded with no entrails. I think they were hung for about 2 weeks. When I received them they would be dry on the outsides. I would certainly cut its head off and put a bucket underneath the head for starters.

Hose down the inside with cold water so that the pierced stomach contents do not taint meat. And also to cool it quickly. Wrap it in something like muslin to keep flies off. A week of hanging is long enough if it is a young deer.

LadyLaGore Thu 16-Oct-08 20:56:18

bugger
have not cut off head, nor hosed down inside
washed off as much of the green stomach contents as spilled on it as poss <<boak>>

will take to butcher tomorrow. he says he will sort it. fingers crossed i havent f'd it up already.

am townie too lynette - this is my first butchering [proud]

LynetteScavo Thu 16-Oct-08 22:46:11

But how cool will you look on the school run with a deer strapped to your roof! grin

mooog Thu 16-Oct-08 23:02:19

OH MY GOD!!!!!! have you ever had psychiatric treatment and if not get it FAST

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now