Talk

Advanced search

Marmite - ok or not??

(20 Posts)
MrsHarry Wed 15-Oct-08 21:03:38

My childminder has just started giving my 16mo DD marmite sandwich for lunch. My first reaction was to ask her not to because of the salt content.
But I know Marmite is good for you in other ways (vitamins etc) and I know you only ever spread it really thinly. I am being too cautious? Is the amount of salt minimal in the way it's usually eaten?? Any thoughts please!

Peachy Wed 15-Oct-08 21:05:07

I know caerphilly council have banned it in their schools, but I can't see there's much wrong with if eaten sensibly tbh

2cats2many Wed 15-Oct-08 21:05:50

I give my 18-month old dd marmite. I just make sure itit's spread thinly and she doesn't have it every day.

snooks Wed 15-Oct-08 21:06:08

dd will either love it or she will hate it

<ahem>

in the scheme of things (ie a healthy varied diet) i think it is a health benefit, definitely, lots of b vitamins like you say.

fourlittlefeet Wed 15-Oct-08 21:07:15

lol, my 17mo has been eating it for months. even sticks her finger in the jar and goes mmmmm.

its fine IMHO, just not too thickly! it was one of her first words... before Mummy even. blush. apparently I was the same as a tot. If you mix the marmite with the butter before spreading you can get the flavour with less on (NB I don't do this, but have seen it as a nanny tip!)

Kbear Wed 15-Oct-08 21:09:38

It's fine I'm sure, you only spread the teensiest bit on toast, it's not spread thickly like jam. And it is soooo delicious, it is the answer to all life's woes!! She will be a deprived child if you ban it!!

MrsHarry Wed 15-Oct-08 21:12:03

Yeah, I think I'll just go with the 'lots of Vitamin B' philosophy, but just ask CM not to give it to her too often. I won't be giving it to her....think it's disgusting stuff!!
Thanks for the feedback.

MrsHarry Wed 15-Oct-08 21:13:37

Kbear, I just crossposted with you...difference of opinion or what??!!

Kbear Wed 15-Oct-08 21:19:58

You give that child Marmite or else I'll be sending the bears round. (Better than Nutella - WTF is THAT about?) grin

Piffle Wed 15-Oct-08 21:20:30

my kids were all brought up on it.
Ds2 is 18mths has small amount on morning toast.
Dd aged 6 is marmite addict morning toast, cheese and marmite sandwiches in packed lunch!

Kbear Wed 15-Oct-08 21:22:30

I had marmite sandwiches for my packed lunch at senior school every day for 5 years - I thought that was all you could have in a sandwich!!

TheConfusedGhostoooohw Wed 15-Oct-08 21:23:43

I buy Marmite Cheese, and give it to my mindees on toast as afternoon snack!

They all love it, (well apart from one who hates 'Dynamite Cheese')you cannot deprive a child of marmite!

(Oh yes you can says DH, it is the stuff of the devil)

Philistine.

MrsHarry Wed 15-Oct-08 21:26:03

Ah, there you go you see...I am a Nutella girl. Perhaps it's not possible to like both!

Kbear Wed 15-Oct-08 21:29:34

no I have it on good authority that you can like both - Maureenmlove (RL bessie mate) likes both, but then she is a leeetle bit strange. grin

SazzlesA Wed 15-Oct-08 21:30:16

Message withdrawn

fourlittlefeet Thu 16-Oct-08 09:42:45

Ever tried marmite with lemon curd?

Spillage21 Thu 16-Oct-08 10:14:44

Marmite on toast with crunchy peanut butter...yum (but hugely fattening for grownups).

Maybe it's banned cos it's a by-product of the brewing industry wink!

WhereWolfTheWildThingsWere Thu 16-Oct-08 10:21:17

Marmite and honey!

throckenholt Thu 16-Oct-08 10:29:30

I am fairly certain there is more salt in the bread and probably the butter/marg than the smidgin of marmite you spread on top.

BloodshotEyeballsintheScarySky Thu 16-Oct-08 10:33:46

I intend to force feed it to DD when she's a little older. As has already been said, you don't exactly lather it on do you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now