Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Shortcrust pastry receipe PLEASE

(11 Posts)
selfevidentnamechange Wed 15-Oct-08 18:40:20

The Steak and Kidney has been cooking since yesterday.

I remember that my mother used to make a round of pastry to go on hers. This is cooked separately and absorbs the juices whilst on the plate.

I have leafed (sp?) through her old receipe book and cannot find a receipe for such pastry - I guess it was just once of those things she had in her head.

PLEASE could I have a suitable receipe. I have butter and oils but no lard /hard marg and every type of flour you can name.

Kathyis6incheshigh Wed 15-Oct-08 18:43:49

One part fat to two parts flour, and a splash of cold water to help it stick together.

You will have to use butter (fine, it will taste yummy) and plain white flour.

If you have a food processor you can use that to rub it in - put flour and butter cut into cube in and process till it resembles breadcrumbs, then add water and squish together for form a lump.

Rest it in the fridge for an hour before rolling, ideally.

girlandboy Wed 15-Oct-08 18:46:36

Half fat to flour.

I always use self raising flour and lard, but you will have to use butter. It will taste good, but won't be quite as light and flaky.

Incidentally, my mum always make suet pastry for steak and kidney!hmm

selfevidentnamechange Wed 15-Oct-08 18:46:43

Will use hands - old fashioned gal in some respects.

Hour in fridge may eat into my le Manoir gazing time

girlandboy Wed 15-Oct-08 18:47:47

Oh, and a pinch of salt as well.

selfevidentnamechange Wed 15-Oct-08 18:48:07

Sorry and Thanks kathy...

G&B - now you have confused me - SR flour ?

Suet - no chance - not my cup of tea

girlandboy Wed 15-Oct-08 18:59:23

Yes I know! All recipies state plain flour, but my mum always uses s/r flour for shortcrust pastry. I have tried it both ways, and the s/r flour is far better. You get a lighter pastry.

I am the pastry queen of the East Midlands.grin
My dh volunteered me to make 6 dozen mincepies for his works party last year! The compliments came thick and fast. <<preens smugly>>

selfevidentnamechange Wed 15-Oct-08 21:25:19

OK - Kathy the pastry was too light and bubbly for s&K - To be fair, I did add too much water and then had to balance it with more Plain flour.

I am looking for a squahsed puff - buttery yet layered (v Close) and denser - to soak up the juices.

I am now on a mission and would be happy to buy lard or whatever is suggested

I really can't believe Mom failed to include such a key receipe in her book

Kathyis6incheshigh Thu 16-Oct-08 09:10:03

girlandboy - you've made me want to try shortcrust with SR now! I did use SR in crumble recently based on Nigella and it was my best crumble ever, so perhaps there's something in it....

Selfevident - can't help you there, I tried to make puff once and it was rubbish! Good luck on your quest!

ChopsTheDuck Thu 16-Oct-08 09:18:53

I use sr in crumble, makes it a lot lighter. Never tried in in pastry. I cheat with pies and buy sainsburys ttde all butter puff pastry. I don't think will ever be able to make puff pastry.
Shortcrust is easy, and I add a little cheese for extra flavour.

girlandboy Thu 16-Oct-08 10:22:06

You will have to use lard as well! Trust me on this - it will work beautifully.

Dh couldn't believe how good shortcrust pastry could be until I made him a pie. He said "but it's all light and flaky and soft, I thought it was meant to be brittle and hard!" His mother's pastry in other words!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now