Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Friday night with friends, needs meal ideas please

(12 Posts)
sashmum Wed 15-Oct-08 16:18:01

having some friends over on friday evening, they have suggested getting a take away but to be honest i really don't fancy that, i honestly don't mind cooking, if fact as im trying to be good at the moment (diet wise) i would prefer to cook.

I would like to do something along the lines of a chilli, but not a chilli if you see what i mean, basically a pot job, with salad, crusty bread sort of thing.

Don't want to do lasagna as he is italian and this is one of 'his dishes'.

So any bright ideas?

I thought maybe a morrocan tagine type of thing, but don't have any recipes.
Help!!

Thefearlessfreak Wed 15-Oct-08 16:21:57

not a pot dish, but very easy in a similar way - chicken fajitas (sp?)

Stir fried chick, peppers, onions etc & spices - then you just need guacomloe, salsa, sour cream & the wraps. Serve with salad. They are just SO tasty & so easy. A winner I think!

schneebly Wed 15-Oct-08 16:25:43

all this wintery weather I would do a lovely big beef casserole wih veg/pots in and a generous splash of red. Some nice baguette/crysty bread and butter on teh side and you are sorted!

sashmum Wed 15-Oct-08 16:29:17

i think what i want is something i haven't cooked for them before, as we haven't seen them for a while i want something easy yet impressive.

My dh doesn't cook, but hers does and when ever we go to theirs he always comes out with something he's just thrown together!!!Which always tastes fab envy

thats why i wanted to do something slightly different

tonysoprano Wed 15-Oct-08 16:30:22

coq au vin, yummy with frenh bread and green beans. nigella has a good recipe

Tillyscoutsmum Wed 15-Oct-08 16:34:04

I do thai baked rice a lot for friends. Quick and easy but tastes lovely. Just serve with thai prawn crackers. Not great for the calories counting though

Also do a lovely sausage, chorizo and bean hot pot

bellavita Wed 15-Oct-08 16:34:11

easy peasy recipe

I use frozen spinach (have used fresh also) but it is easier to have a bag of frozen on standy. Doubles up no problem. The only thing I do is up the anti on the spices eg, if it says 1tsp I put 2 in.

Tillyscoutsmum Wed 15-Oct-08 16:49:38

or do a chilli but do it with chunks of beef rather than minced beef - seems "posher" somehow and tastes fantastic. I've used this recipe

Serve with cheese, guacamole, salsa, sour cream, nachos, rice and/or wedges and chopped coriander

MurderousMarla Wed 15-Oct-08 17:09:03

Ha! I was going to post the same link as Tillyscoutsmum - the thai baked rice - the best thing is that it's SO easy but I think it tastes like it was a bit more work IYSWIM.

bellavita Wed 15-Oct-08 17:59:23

Tillyscoutsmum - that does look nice, will try that out myself.

Tillyscoutsmum Wed 15-Oct-08 18:32:46

It is lovely - I add an extra pepper and two cans of coconut milk instead of one. Also be careful with how much paste you use because the different brands vary massively. 3-4 teaspoons of Blue Dragon on for example, will blow your heads off ! 1-2 is about right

bellavita Wed 15-Oct-08 21:43:07

smile thanks for the tips Tillyscoutsmum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now