Talk

Advanced search

Corned Beef Hash

(22 Posts)
chinchi Wed 15-Oct-08 13:49:37

Does naybody have some tasty and easy recipes for corned beef hash?

My Mum used to make this up a treat

CherryChapstick Wed 15-Oct-08 13:52:13

No. It will never be tasty whatever goes in it. Made it for the first time last week, thought I'd try it, what with trying to save money and all.
We all hated it. Twas nasty. DON'T DO IT!!!!

soremummy Wed 15-Oct-08 13:54:51

If its made properly its nice. Gonna reboot and post it for you in a few mins.

chinchi Wed 15-Oct-08 13:56:34

Cherry Chapstick

Thats my worst nightmare- Mum used to make it fab, and I know no matter how hard Ill try, itll never match hers!

BlueCowWonders Wed 15-Oct-08 13:57:55

For dh and me: half a green pepper, some onion fried until soft, open tin of Sainsburys basics conred beef, mash around pan until crunchy around edges (like bubble and squeak). When done, crack in 2 eggs and cover until done.
DH likes cooking this cos it never fails...

BlueCowWonders Wed 15-Oct-08 13:58:59

For dh and me: half a green pepper, some onion fried until soft, open tin of Sainsburys basics conred beef, mash around pan until crunchy around edges (like bubble and squeak). When done, crack in 2 eggs and cover until done.
DH likes cooking this cos it never fails...

soremummy Wed 15-Oct-08 13:59:53

chinchi Do you mean the one thats more like a really thick stew type thing with dumplings? Im not from th uk but my neighbour makes thats kind of one

dustystar Wed 15-Oct-08 14:00:10

I like itsmile Tis very simple. I cook some potatoes and dice them. I then cook a chopped onion until its soft, add the potatoes, a tin of corned beef, a can of baked beans and a very generous helping of Worcestershire sauce and stir until the corned beef has mixed in well and the sauce is bubbling. Then i turn down the heat and leave cooking on the hob for 20 mins, stirring occasionally.

My mum used to do it differently. She mixed the corned beef, onion and baked beans and put the mixture at the bottom of a dish and then top with mashed potato and put it in the oven for about 20-30 mins.

bundle Wed 15-Oct-08 14:03:28

green pepper?
beans?

shock
i just use potatoes, onions and corned beef

god i love it, tis my Food Of Shame blush

FimboGotAxed Wed 15-Oct-08 14:06:08

I do a layer of beans, then the corned beef and then mashed potatoes on top. Yum. It's what dh calls comfort food.

chinchi Wed 15-Oct-08 14:07:45

Ooh, Id never heard of it being made with beans before but sounds great! My mouth is watering already!

Thankyou!

bundle Wed 15-Oct-08 14:08:48

ew @ beans

just petit pois(on side, not in it)

and brown sauce blush

FimboGotAxed Wed 15-Oct-08 14:11:12

Cripes peas and brown sauce with corned beef hash? What a weirdy lot we are! grin

We used to have corned beef hash with beans at school. I stole the receipe! grin

It's so easy. It's great if you are not in the mood to cook.

mankyscotslass Wed 15-Oct-08 14:11:37

I'm with you bundle, but it has to be HP.

soremummy Wed 15-Oct-08 14:14:29

My one is a little bit different. Some pearl barley and lentils, diced swede,diced carrott, diced onion, tin of cornbeef, tin of beans oxo cube water and worchester sauce chuck it all in the slowcooker and an hr before you want to serve it add dumpling on top.

Can be done on the hob as well

FimboGotAxed Wed 15-Oct-08 14:22:56

from the BBC website
3 spring onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tbsp olive oil
½ can corned beef, chopped
1/3 can mixed beans, drained
½ beef stock cube
3-4 tbsp water
½ tub ready-made mash
handful of grated cheese

Method
1. Sauté the spring onions and garlic in the oil for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add all the other ingredients and fry for 4-5 minutes.
3. Transfer the mix to an ovenproof dish.
4. Heat the mash according to the cooking guidelines.
5. Top the hash with the mash to make a pie.
6. Sprinkle over the grated cheese and grill until melted and golden.

trefusis Wed 15-Oct-08 14:23:33

Message withdrawn

FimboGotAxed Wed 15-Oct-08 14:23:53

What's ready-made mash? Presumably Smash? LOL grin

bundle Wed 15-Oct-08 16:01:57

thank god for manky smile

surely anything with beans in is more "cowboy dinner" hmm

Tillyscoutsmum Wed 15-Oct-08 16:06:05

Marinade corned beef in red wine, coarse grain mustard and worcester sauce and salt & pepper.

Parboil chunks of potatoes, then fry with diced onion until browned, add the marinaded corned beef and fry until crispy

Serve with baked beans, poached eggs and most definitely brown sauce grin

Thefearlessfreak Wed 15-Oct-08 16:15:18

mmm these recipes make me want to make it....are there any "nice" or even organic tins of corned beef i can get?

bundle Wed 15-Oct-08 16:30:09

feralessfreak, that defeats teh whole object!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now