Talk

Advanced search

Meals and Sleep - how do I fit it all in???

(6 Posts)
charl1975 Sat 05-Mar-05 16:36:12

My dd is 20 weeks and I started weaning a couple of weeks ago. She has taken to it really well and I now think she is ready to go from 1-2 meals a day and then on to 3. However, I am confused how I fit this in with her current routine as follows

7AM - wakes for bottle
8.30/9 has a nap
10.30/11 wakes for solid & bottle
1.30 - 2PM bottle
2.30/3.00 - 4.30/5 nap
5 - bottle
6.30 bath
7.00 bottle then bed

She is such a good sleeper ( I know this could change in a heartbeat ) than I feel bad waking her for a feed so I usually go with when she wakes up. I think my problem is I am still in the 3 hourly feed pattern in my head so it seems crazy to give her a solid and then a bottle an hour later ( or is this right??) My main query is when I would give her breakfast. I am just so confused and to be honest feel that HV is so rushed when I get to speak to her that I end up more confused.

sorry its so rambling
thanks for help in adavnce

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Sat 05-Mar-05 16:46:59

Have you tried any weaning books? I was always crappy at remembering what went when etc., so I got Annabel Karmel's book (I have 5 kids and you'd think I would remember). Here's a link to her website but I have to say I found her book brilliant. Annabel Karmel She has a good weaning chart in her book. hth

aloha Sat 05-Mar-05 16:55:41

Blimey, if she's so brilliant and sleeps so well, I'm not sure why you want to change anything. I'd stick with what works personally, and bugger doing anything with solids.

LoubieLou04 Sat 05-Mar-05 16:59:23

If I remember rightly you give the food at the same time as the bottle gradually adding bigger amounts so that food takes over from the bottle. My DD is now 10 mths has cereal and bottle for breakfast, food for lunch and tea and bottle at bedtime. She also has a bottle mid afternoon so she gets her pint of milk.

Donbean Sat 05-Mar-05 17:01:07

Yes i agree, Anabel Carmel is very good.
As a rule of thumb when i started to ween DS i gave him solids aprox an hour after a bottle to allow the milk to be digested and so that he didnt feel too full.
So for example, what you say is 7am~ bottle, give food at 8am prior to sleep at 8.30am.
10.30~solid and bottle,
5~5.30 food.
This became an excellent routine for us and worked well. As they only eat tiny amounts at first and are still on full milk feeds, it doesnt matter how much they do or dont eat as you become established in your routine.
It honestly all works out very well after a bit of give and take in the early days.
Good luck and try not to worry too much, your little one will get there eventually.

HappyMumof2 Sat 05-Mar-05 17:40:57

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now