Talk

Advanced search

pasta bake

(9 Posts)
lucysmam Tue 14-Oct-08 11:17:05

home made or shop bought sauce to go with the pasta?

Just curious as oh says he prefers shop bought to ones I've made in the past sad

captainofthemummies Tue 14-Oct-08 11:48:21

Home made def. Look at the label on shop-bought and the biggest ingred is usually sugar.angry

Home made ones suffr from not being cooked enough usually. The tomatoes need really long slow cooking to make them sweet and break down sufficiently. Add a bit of stock/wine/water/apple jiuce to help it along.

And you can add hidden veg!

lucysmam Tue 14-Oct-08 12:52:25

See I don't often buy shop-made jars of anything these days as I'm learning quite a lot in the kitchen & enjoying it. Would it be wrong of me do you think to deny oh this one thing he prefers? Or maybe a compromise of some sort or other hmm

girlandboy Tue 14-Oct-08 12:55:40

I know what you mean lucysmam!

If I make a curry, ds won't eat it and this is the only time I give him something different. He has the chicken with a bought tomato sauce in a jar from Tesco. He says "sorry mum, but it's nicer than your tomato sauce!" God love him.

However, I always do my own pasta sauce otherwise!

mamadiva Tue 14-Oct-08 12:55:55

I made one that sounded foul LOL.

It was just sausages, bacon, tin of tomatoes, tomato puree, tiny bit of herbs and cheese was lovely although it looked and smelled foul too.

captainofthemummies Tue 14-Oct-08 14:03:26

Mamadiva - I do a sausage casserole that is almost exactly your recipe! It's not foul! Wouldn't put cheese in, (maybe on) but otherwise it's the same. I'd cook the sausages and bacon separately and cook down the tomatoes with onion first tho.

lucysmam Tue 14-Oct-08 16:09:12

maybe just compromise on this one thing then. I do make my own for everything else these days so I guess one jar isn't too bad

herbietea Tue 14-Oct-08 16:11:14

Message withdrawn

lucysmam Tue 14-Oct-08 20:09:30

we never had decent cookery lessons at school! They were always projects about different countries foods and then cook one thing at the end. If it's tasty then yes please post . . . am going to persevere & crack this nut since I managed to introduce veggie nights no problem

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now