Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Chicken soup disaster!

(8 Posts)
Mercy Mon 13-Oct-08 16:24:03

I followed the recipe (more or less) but it tastes very watery.

I have a feeling I used too much water and not enough chicken (only 4 drumstick bones - can't buy a whole chicken as only me and 2 small dc eat it)

Any ideas please?

Lauriefairycake Mon 13-Oct-08 16:25:17

vegetable stock?

cheat and add some gravy granules (chicken) and season well

Carmenere Mon 13-Oct-08 16:25:38

add a stock cube or a pinch of sugar and a squeeze of lemon with plenty of salt and pepper.

OrmIrian Mon 13-Oct-08 16:27:07

Could you not eat a roast chicken, then use the leftovers cold? Then you'd have a whole carcase. It makes a difference.

I also use carrots, onions and green lentils to thicken. Also any other non-cabbagy veg that you have hanging about. Then blend it.

Mercy Mon 13-Oct-08 16:39:35

I only have Marigold bouillon powder, will that be ok?

I want it to taste more chickeny though! Shall I bung the bones back in for a while?

Orm, unfortunately a whole chicken would probably be wasted on us. Mind you, if I could get a small free-range one it might work.

I haven't bought a whole chicken for at least 10 years!

lulumama Mon 13-Oct-08 16:41:05

stick the bones back in and add chicken stock cube

i always stick in an onion and carrot and celery to the stock when making soup

i would buy a small chicken for roasting next time and make the soup from the carcass

i did make a small amount of soup from left over legs once, but it only made two bowls full

vonsudenfed Mon 13-Oct-08 16:46:05

Tiny (1.2kg) chicken does two of us for roast. But it's more economical to roast a bigger one and make a curry or stew out of the leftovers, and then a soup as well.

Mercy Mon 13-Oct-08 16:54:33

I used veg lulu (the recipe I followed was a mixture of your's and Carm's basic stock!)

I think the problem was not having a carcass.

Right, I think I'll freeze it for now and use it as a soup base for when I buy a whole chicken.

Thanks everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now