Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Erm... I have soaked fruit for 3 cakes in a whole (1L) bottle of brandy.... is that too much?

(9 Posts)
LadyOfWaffleIsScaryEnough Sun 12-Oct-08 16:43:08

Am having flashbacks I am sure to something about tablespoons....

The three cakes in question are 2 10" and 1 12"... two are being eaten on 26th Oct. shock

I had planned to drain this morning but the fruit has soaked it all in!

bellavita Sun 12-Oct-08 16:44:51

I am always on the generous side when it comes to putting booze into cakes, so for 3 cakes, I would have probably put the same amount in.

They will be lovely.

DevilishDisasterArea Sun 12-Oct-08 16:46:39

um. think delia talks in terms of tablespoons of brandy, not bottles. will be delicious.

expatinscotland Sun 12-Oct-08 16:50:00

no.

i soak in about that amount for that many cakes and then strain the liquid off before adding the fruit to the mix - and use that leftover alcohol to feed the cakes later on.

how long was the fruit soaking for it to soak all in? shock

LadyOfWaffleIsScaryEnough Sun 12-Oct-08 16:50:45

Thanks , hopefully it won't knock anyone flying. I have never made a fruit cake before , let alone a short notice one. [hic]grin

LadyOfWaffleIsScaryEnough Sun 12-Oct-08 16:52:14

O! I was going to drain and feed (feed the Christmas one) but the fruit drank it all! I poured the brandy over it about 5pm yesterday and it was gone this morning.

amanda12 Mon 13-Oct-08 14:50:55

I think i used this much for 1 cake!! It is huge but thought i would drain a lot and feed it over nxt couple of months but it has soaked it all up. It smells delicious.

flatmouse Mon 13-Oct-08 14:52:25

it'll be fine and delicious. I've never understood why Delia was so stingy wiht her quantities.

georgiemum Mon 13-Oct-08 14:53:50

Absolutely not. May need more though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now