Talk

Advanced search

Can any give me a good recipe for Biscuits?????

(5 Posts)
StephanieA Sun 12-Oct-08 16:16:29

I've gone and volunteered myself to bake Pudsey bear biscuits for Children in Need day on 14th November - and have bought a pudsey biscuit cutter and bags to put my wares in! The problem is that Ive tried two types of biscuit recipes so far this weekend - one of Nigellas, and one with cornflour that came with the cutter. The Nigella one needs to be rolled out too thinly for the cutter to leave an impression (approx 7mm needed!) and the one with the cornflour just lost Pudseys features whilst cooking!!! At this rate Im going to make cookies, and sod the bloody bear!!!

Any help appreciated!

Thanks
Stephanie

Lucycat Sun 12-Oct-08 16:34:57

How about this recipe? from my all time favourite baking website!

oopsacoconut Sun 12-Oct-08 16:40:21

What about using a gingerbread man recipe? You can always leave out the ginger and have plain biscuits.

50g butter
50g caster sugar
100g golden syrup
1 heaped tsp ginger
200g self raising flour

heat oven to 180
melt butter, sugar and syrup together until sugar dissolves but do not allow to boil
mix in flour and ginger until smooth and manageable but fairly stiff
cool for 30 mins
roll out and cut out shapes
bakes for 10-12 mins

SuperBunny Tue 14-Oct-08 04:50:19

I use this recipe. Perfect every time:

Suitable for freezing before decorating.

100g/4oz slightly softened butter
50g/2oz caster sugar
175g/6oz plain flour
pinch of salt
a few drops of vanilla essence

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.

Beat the butter and sugar until thoroughly mixed.

Sift (I never sift) together the flour and salt and mix this into the butter mixture.

Add a few drops of vanilla essence (I don't) to form a fairly stiff dough.

If the dough is too dry add a little water.

Form the dough into a ball using your hands, then roll out thinly on a floured work surface using a rolling pin dusted with flour

Cut into shapes using biscuit cutters.

Arrange on greased or lined baking sheets and bake for about 12 to 15 minutes or until the biscuits are lightly golden.

For the icing:
100g/6oz icing sugar sifted
½tbsp lemon juice or water

put icing sugar in a bowl with enough lemon juice or water to make a good spreading/ piping consistency. Pipe or spread on (I always pipe)

suzywong Tue 14-Oct-08 06:06:50

lard
replace half the butter with lard that way you get short crispy firm biscuits that will hold an impression

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: