Talk

Advanced search

Chocolate cake made with margarine?

(11 Posts)
mamaberta Sat 11-Oct-08 16:03:11

I would really quite like to make a choccie cake for DC 2's 1st birthday that is not like my effort for DC 1 - like a chuffing rock grin. Does margarine make a cake lighter? If so, which should I get? We only ever have butter as no one likes the taste of marge. I think my oven might be a bit crap too so will cook it in a friend's Any failsafe, simple recipes for the never-bakes really appreciated!!

Overmydeadbody Sat 11-Oct-08 16:04:44

I would use butter over margarine to be honest. Sounds like you just need a better recipe!grin

Or you can make a chocolate cake with oil, that has a light texture.

Lubyloo Sat 11-Oct-08 16:08:55

I'm making a chocolate cake for DD's birthday this afternoon. I am going to use this recipe by Delia.

She suggests adding the eggs very slowly and sifting the flour from a height for a light cake. Will let you know how it turns out as mine are normally rock like too!

enduringsurrey Sat 11-Oct-08 16:12:27

Message withdrawn

bellavita Sat 11-Oct-08 16:17:11

I always use margarine - stork, makes a lighter cake.

enduringsurrey Mon 13-Oct-08 23:09:55

Message withdrawn

worzella Mon 13-Oct-08 23:20:16

And if you're using a food processor add 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder - (a la Nigella)

CandleQueen Mon 13-Oct-08 23:23:07

Your marg should be at least 70% fat. That's what the WI recommend!

fortyplus Mon 13-Oct-08 23:25:03

What about 'I can't believe it's not butter'? As easy as marg but tastes like butter. Makes a lighter sponge than proper butter.

hatwoman Mon 13-Oct-08 23:26:30

my mum swears by cake flour - it's a bit finer than normal. and my mum's cake are fantastically light

elkiedee Mon 13-Oct-08 23:37:08

I always make cakes using a Victoria sponge recipe, and for the most recent, probably first in more than 15 years, I used margarine - Sainsbury's own brand Sunflower, no mention of the word "margarine" on the tub (to my amusement). It turned out light enough and seemed to taste ok, it was lighter than another cake made for us by a friend. I don't remember proportions offhand but if you just search Victoria sponge there will be lots of recipes online that will tell you amounts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now