Talk

Advanced search

Chocolate oil cake recipe?

(8 Posts)
AuntieMaggie Fri 10-Oct-08 18:14:54

My DP's mum gave me this recipe last year and I have lost it and am gutted cos it was so lovely!

Anyone got a recipe like this?

Overmydeadbody Fri 10-Oct-08 19:37:18

have you tried googling?

Do you mean a cake using oil instead of butter, or is that just the name?

Overmydeadbody Fri 10-Oct-08 19:39:24

INGREDIENTS
400 g white sugar
375 g all-purpose flour
9 g baking soda
3 g salt
45 g unsweetened cocoa powder
475 ml water
235 ml vegetable oil
30 ml distilled white vinegar
5 ml vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large bowl, mix sugar, flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa.
Add water, vegetable oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Beat by hand until smooth.
Pour into a 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.

I just got that off a google search

lucysmam Fri 10-Oct-08 21:03:27

that seems like a lot of oil to put in a cake! Does it not taste, erm . . . oily?

Overmydeadbody Fri 10-Oct-08 21:37:42

no more than the amount of butter one would use, or the amount of oil that goes into carrot cake grin

lucysmam Fri 10-Oct-08 21:39:27

oh, maybe not then. Didn't think about it replacing the butter when I asked <d'oh> Never made carrott cake, may google for a recipe & make both tomorrow out of curiosity

AuntieMaggie Sat 11-Oct-08 21:49:47

No doesn't taste oily. Very soft and lighter than cake made with butter. And it doesn't tick to the tin!

The recipe I had included treacle but no vinegar or salt.

The first time I made it I struggled with the amount of veg oil going into it but it probably is the same as butter and tastes so good.

lucysmam Sat 11-Oct-08 22:37:26

I didn't get around to making it today as I have no vanilla essence & couldn't make my mind up whether to do it without or not so have put that on my shopping list for Thursday & will make it whilst the lo is at MIL's on Friday I think.

Would be nice to make a cake that doesn't stick to the tin for once hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now