Talk

Advanced search

I want to up my intake of dark green leafy veggies, need some yummy recipe ideas please!

(18 Posts)
oneplusone Fri 10-Oct-08 13:55:37

I have no idea how to cook these things (spring greens/kale etc) and I end up buying them, they sit in the fridge for a week, then I throw them out!

Please give me some yummy easy quick recipe ideas, that will retain the nutrients. I have occasionnally tried stir frying spring green which is nice but that's the only recipe I know.

Please help!

TIA smile

whomovedmychocolate Fri 10-Oct-08 20:48:22

I quite like making spinach and potato curries, very easy to make, cube and sweat potatoes in oil along with a chopped up onion. Add a tablespoon of curry paste, add a bit of tomato puree then ten minutes before add your chopped up kale/greens etc. Tastes great and v nutritious too!

lulumama Fri 10-Oct-08 20:49:59

i made nice soup out of shredded kale, broccoli and veg stock...

kale is nice just boiled briefly and then served with a lump of butter

spring greens ditto

MadamAnt Fri 10-Oct-08 20:50:12

Very good thread! Am watching with interest. I wil also be having a browse of my Madhur Jaffrey "World Vegetarian" tome this weekend. I know it has a big section on green leafy stuff.

Habbibu Fri 10-Oct-08 20:50:14

Some good ones here - Dennis Cotter is the owner of Cafe Paradiso in Cork and his recipes are fab.

fishie Fri 10-Oct-08 20:51:08

greens with oyster sauce. steam, sprinkle with a bit of sesame oil and some oyster sauce.

greens are lovely with strong things like salmon, so just steamed and served alongside. dh likes with roast sweet potato.

Shitemum Fri 10-Oct-08 20:54:38

We have cooked/canned chickpeas fried in olive oil with garlic and onion, red pepper strips and shredded chard or spinach. Put lid on and simmer for a while. Serve with rice.

uberalice Fri 10-Oct-08 20:57:59

Curly Kale Uberalice - a bit hit in our household:

Chop garlic, onion, fry in olive oil.
Remove tough stalks from your curly kale, wash, and chop it as much as you can. Add to the pan and let it reduce for a few mins.
Add 2 tins of chopped toms, a bit of sugar, cook for about half an hour.
Whizz it with one of those wand things or a liquidiser.
Add a generous dollop of full fat philadeliphia or similar. Warm it through and serve with pasta.

SammyK Fri 10-Oct-08 20:58:30

I often buy a bag of kale or spinach and just add it any meal I make, have had it in curries, casseroles, soups, stir fries, pasta sauces, etc. Can also have it as a pizza topping.

Also agree with lulumama, bypass your usual sunday lunch veg and steam it then add butter and/or pepper and have it as a side dish.

oneplusone Sat 11-Oct-08 19:16:47

Hey thanks guys! I'd forgotten I'd started this thread! Will print it out and stick it on the fridge!

Any more ideas anyone?

bleurgh Sat 11-Oct-08 19:19:10

put spinach in between the layers of your lasagne

Mercy Sat 11-Oct-08 19:30:58

Fresh spinach and dolcelatte pasta

Bubble and squeak!

Savoy cabbage parcels (stuffed with savoury rice) - or just steam the cabbage and have with sausage and mash

Broccoli is good for you too; cauliflower and broccoli cheese.

kalo12 Sat 11-Oct-08 19:41:09

butternut squash risotto with spinach stirred in at the end.

pasta with cream cheese and greens and pesto

broccolli and cheese omelette

cabbage in a stir fry

MrsMattie Tue 14-Oct-08 01:27:50

I shred this type of veg and add to stir fries near the end of cooking.

melbob Tue 14-Oct-08 01:37:56

soften some chopped onion and garlic in olive oil. Add tin tomoato and mushroom. Cook unitl reduce by half.. Stir in spinach put in ovenproof dish. Break in aggs cover with gratef cheese bake until eggs cooked approx 10 mins.

ninedragons Tue 14-Oct-08 01:45:11

I add frozen spinach to fish cakes (form mashed potato, spinach and tuna into patties, coat in egg and breadcrumbs and shallow-fry). They're dead easy and DH's favourite meal.

MadamDeathstare Tue 14-Oct-08 01:56:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

oneplusone Tue 14-Oct-08 13:25:13

Hi again, thanks for your yummy suggestions. I notice there are a lot of spinach ideas. Unfortunately I am not keen on too much spinach as apparently i have been told it's quite 'acidic' and therefore not good for me (it can aggravate my eczema).

But the other greens like kale, spring greens, swiss chard, collard greens are all fine.

Maybe i can simply replace the spinach with one of the other greens? Only spinach is a lot more tender than say kale, so it may not work.

Sammyk, i think your idea sounds the most practical for me, ie just add the greens to anything i am making. Just have to remember to do so, as i'm not in the habit of normally cooking with dark green leafies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now