Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Asparagus . . . . . . . tell me what to do with it!

(13 Posts)
lucysmam Thu 09-Oct-08 18:47:13

I stupidly let my oh loose on mysupermarket.co.uk last night . . . . good in theory, I now just have to transfer my list to paper.

However, he wants to try asparagus now & seems to think that because I've been spending quite a bit of time in the kitchen I ought to automatically know what to do with it hmm

So, what do I do with it? So I look like I actually do have a clue

steam it for three minutes
Add butter.

Tis delish

(makes your wee smell funny though, but tis a small price to pay, tis mouth wateringly gorgeous!)

CharCharGabor Thu 09-Oct-08 18:48:34

I just steamed in in the microwave and served with a bit of melted butter. It was gorgeous and very child friendly as well I think. Bet someone else has got a much tastier idea though! smile

MOrticiaAdams Thu 09-Oct-08 18:49:13

Well, you can boil it, for about 5 mins and serve it with a dollop of butter on top. Or you could wrap it in streaky bacon and pop it in the oven until the bacon is crispy - that's a bit nice!

CharCharGabor Thu 09-Oct-08 18:49:15

Oh good, my idea wasn't rubbish then! grin

Overmydeadbody Thu 09-Oct-08 18:49:38

oooh so many possibilities!

As squonk said, it is nice just steamed with butter

or added to risottos or pasta sauces

or wrapped in parma ham and baked

Overmydeadbody Thu 09-Oct-08 18:51:28

steam

boil

fry

bake

roast

flavour with butter, ol;ive oil, garlic, lemon zest, mint, parma ham, bacon

Nice served with eggs benedict

chopped up in quiche

chopped up in spanish omelette...

Overmydeadbody Thu 09-Oct-08 18:53:20

asparagus and parmesan on puff pastry squares

asparagus salad with mozarella, capers, butter and balsamic vinegar

Overmydeadbody Thu 09-Oct-08 18:54:08

have a look here lucy

Sazisi Thu 09-Oct-08 18:56:42

Asparagus gratin:
steam asparagus for 4 mins, spread out onto plates, drizzle over white wine & cream sauce, top with parmesan and breadcrumbs, grill until golden then serve with bread.

makes an impressive starter

lucysmam Thu 09-Oct-08 19:03:21

Wow! I only went to wash the pots!

Cheers smile

I'll try it steamed with butter on top & something more adventurous although not sure what now. Asparagus with warm potato pancakes sounds like it could be a good one to try . . . or risotto as my oh would eat that any time . . . hmmmm . . . . I'll have to have a think about that

Overmydeadbody Thu 09-Oct-08 19:23:07

I think, for the frist time you cook it and eat it, just keep it simple, steam or boil it and serve with melted butter and salt.

lucysmam Thu 09-Oct-08 19:26:21

Good idea. Although I am liking the sound of some of the ideas on your link OMDB. I may even concoct something of my own with it after trying it a couple of times

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now