Talk

Advanced search

Do you remember CHRISTMAS TUNIS CAKE?

(6 Posts)
Tas1 Thu 09-Oct-08 17:40:15

It was a maderia type sponge with a thick chocolate top and 3 small marzipan fruits on top for decoration. We always had it at christmas as no one in my family liked currants, so this was our christmas cake.

For the last few years I have not been able to find one. I tried making one last year but it wasnt the same. sad

Has anyone seen a TUNIS CAKE lurking with my name on it, if so please let me know. grin

oopsacoconut Thu 09-Oct-08 17:53:51

I know Tesco used to do them at Christmas we had one last year (I had never heard of them until then) Not sure if they are doing them this year.

helenlt Mon 27-Oct-08 21:31:15

Unfortunately McVities no longer make them - and the so-called Tunis cakes from Tesco, Sainsbury, M&S, etc. etc are apparently nothing like as good as the original one.

If you type "tunis cake" into google you'll find that there's a similar discussion on moneysavingexpert's forums, (except we've got a photo and recipes.....wink

I'm making a Tunis Cake for Christmas this year - no point in making the fruit Christmas cake 'cos no-one likes it

pointygravedogger Mon 27-Oct-08 21:49:18

someone metioned these last year and I had never heard of it.

Then, without even looking, I spotted one in tesco. Just like the thing.

Hav eyou checked tesco recently?

Tas1 Wed 29-Oct-08 16:24:43

I will take a look.

Bugdad Tue 28-Jul-09 19:23:28

Check out www.epicureansanswer.com/favourite-things/tunis-cake/ for a history of Tunis cakes and where you can still buy them!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now