Talk

Advanced search

Moussaka (without cheese)?

(5 Posts)
NorkyButNice Thu 09-Oct-08 09:11:44

I've got an aubergine in my veg box this week, so was thinking of making moussaka for the first time.

Have got all of the ingredients, but all the recipes I can find say to use cheese which DH hates (strange I know) - will it work if I leave the cheese out of the sauce that goes on top?

boogeek Thu 09-Oct-08 15:50:19

I think it will be fine - the usual sauce has an egg in so it rises a bit, and this should work with or without cheese. Good luck!

arthursmum Thu 09-Oct-08 16:00:04

I would say cheese was an option, not definitely needed.

I don't know what recipe you are using but I always use a little cinnamon and ground cumin in the mince, gives it a yummy edge. And apparently authentic too.

Enjoy!

serin Thu 09-Oct-08 21:31:38

I would love to hate cheese, I would be a size 10 then.

I put the cinnamon in the white sauce and a bay leaf too, can't think what would replace the flavour of the lovely cheese?????? white wine maybe? bit of mustard perhaps?

Oh, and I add mint to the mince, not authentic at all but v. nice!!

NorkyButNice Fri 10-Oct-08 08:47:02

Thanks! I made it with a tiny bit of mature cheddar in the sauce and he didn't even notice - then sprinkled loads more on my end before it went in the oven

It was seriously delicious!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: