Talk

Advanced search

Pataks curry sauce jars- how can I make it go further?

(13 Posts)
Holymoly321 Wed 08-Oct-08 18:28:37

I always put about four chopped chicken breasts and some mushrooms in a pyrex dish with a jar of Pataks curry sauce on top and then bung in the oven. This usually makes two meals for me and DH (I put one half in the freezer to reheat another day), but credit is crunching and would like to know what I can use to make it go further - what would you add veg wise and also what can I add to make the sauce go further?

TurkeyLurksAroundGraveYards Wed 08-Oct-08 18:30:32

I sometimes add a tin of tomatoes to this sort of thing. Plus boil some chopped spuds and add them for bulk too.

Peachy Wed 08-Oct-08 18:31:28

Lentils work in curry thngs especially well; also tinned tomatoes (you might ant to add a bit of curry powder to re-spivce), courgettes chopped, whatever really.

Depends a bit what type of curry- some work well with cauli for example

Holymoly321 Wed 08-Oct-08 18:32:31

mmm... am getting hungry now! If I added yoghurt (like creamy stuff!), would I still be able to freeze and reheat?

littlelapin Wed 08-Oct-08 18:34:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DraculaNeedsArteries Wed 08-Oct-08 18:41:13

use the pataks curry paste. Same stuf just kmore concentrated so you add your own stock/water/tomatoes.

Follow the instructions on the jar and you should get double the number of meals (we cook 1/2 a jar for a family of 5 + leftovers). You don't have to use the whole jar as it keeps in fridge for 6 weeks.

The jars may cost a fraction more but will give you double the meals.

HTH

DraculaNeedsArteries Wed 08-Oct-08 18:41:50

x posts with Lapin (I got distracted)

FourArms Wed 08-Oct-08 18:45:38

I do what LL says, but chop them all up before I put them in a freezer bag. Then they defrost a bit quicker, and I don't need to chop them when they're all coated in curry paste. I find if I add lots of peppers, onions, mushrooms and cauliflower, I only need about half a chicken fillet per portion.

Holymoly321 Wed 08-Oct-08 18:47:10

I usually get either tikka masala or korma (not very adventurous I know!). So does that mean I can't freeze and defrost yoghurt then? What about creme fraiche or something?

DraculaNeedsArteries Wed 08-Oct-08 18:49:56

we still freeze and reheat with single creme in.

I add onions peppers and mushroom BTW

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Wed 08-Oct-08 18:52:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FabioHasTenLives Wed 08-Oct-08 20:18:18

FourARms, actually I chop it into pieces as well, I just forgot that bit! grin

silverfrog Wed 08-Oct-08 20:25:00

definitely some lentils (tinned easier as no faffing, but more expensive)

cauliflower is great in curries, as is sweet potato. extra tin of tomatoes if you need more liquid, or coconut milk.

I pu any veg I have lieing about in, so cougettes, peppers, etc. I can usually make 2 chicken breasts into a meal for 4 adults, and then 4x kids portions as well (and my stepson is a vegetable hater, but even he doesn't mind my curries!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now