Talk

Advanced search

Slow cooker help

(5 Posts)
claireyBOOOO Wed 08-Oct-08 15:11:29

I've always cooked a lot of stews and soups etc so recently got a slow cooker rather than having the hob/oven on for hours at a time. My problem is that whereas I used to make delicious rich gravies, now they all seem a bit weak and watery, even though I've cut the amount of liquid down. Help!

girlandboy Wed 08-Oct-08 15:14:43

Cut the amount of liquid down to half what you used to.
The moisture recirculates and doesn't evaporate away.

If it's too thick at the end, you can always thin it down!

MKG Wed 08-Oct-08 16:12:59

Definitely cut the liquid down, and when you put it all together in the slowcooker add a couple of tablespoons of flour to help thicken it (or you could do that at the end).

PestoFangsLookGoodOnMeMonster Wed 08-Oct-08 16:17:45

Or, you could do what I do, which is to season the meat in flour first and flash-fry it before putting it in the slow cooker. Then add the veg and liquid after. The extra flour on the meat helps with the thickening without having to have it as a separate extra ingredient.

claireyBOOOO Wed 08-Oct-08 19:47:10

Thanks for the answers. I don't think it is so much that there is too much liquid, for example today I cooked lamb shanks and the only liquid I put in was a glass of wine. It is more that my gravies used to be thicker and have that velvety look, now they look watery. I'll try browning the meat with some flour like you say Pesto-hope that does it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now