Talk

Advanced search

Red Lentils - what can I do with them - and do I need to do anything with them (ie soak overnight) first???

(16 Posts)
FAQ Tue 07-Oct-08 22:41:38

I bought a pack of red lentil the other day thinking "oo nice cheap meal" - but have now realised I havent' got a clue what to do with them blush

Any ideas please smile

Carmenere Tue 07-Oct-08 22:43:22

They are really easy to use, they do not need soaking. Try a red lentil and carrot soup to start with a bit of chilli and ginger. It is yum.

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 07-Oct-08 22:43:40

I use them to make soup.

Fry onion, garlic and any other veg - carrots, celery, possibly add some bacon if you like it/aren't vegetarian, season and add some herbs, I occasionally also add some cumin and/or dried chilli flakes, and then chuck in a generous handful or two of lentils, stir, and then add a tin of tomatoes and top up with chicken stock.

Bring to the boil and then simmer for around 20-30 minutes till all is cooked. Puree if you like it smooth.

Carmenere Tue 07-Oct-08 22:44:28

Lots of recipes here

NoBiggy Tue 07-Oct-08 22:45:12

Rinse them in a sieve.

Boil them up.

That's it.

Mind they don't boil over, makes a terrible mess.

Is there a time on the packet? I have 2 different packets in the kitchen, one says 20 mins simmer, the other 45.

Look on mn for the recipe for lentil and cheese wedges, it's very good. Plain boiled lentils mixed with ketchup served with nan and poppadoms causes no end of excitement in this house.

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 07-Oct-08 22:46:38

Have you got The Bean Book? Lovely recipe in there which is chopped fried mushrooms with a topping of cooked lentils (they go like a very thick puree) with cheese on the top, baked in the oven. Easy and very tasty!

I can post the recipe if you're interested

Overmydeadbody Tue 07-Oct-08 22:46:45

No need to saok, they cook in about 20 minutes in water (longer in tomato sauce)

As well as soup, you can make delicious dahls to serve with rice, or veggie bolognese (just agg other veg too). I cook the lentils seperately and add to the tomato sauce for this.

I add them to casseroles to thicken the sauce...

Mostly though, as our stabd-by staple that we eat at least once a week, I just cook them up with a stock cube to a thick consistancy, add garlic and lots of freshly chopped coriander, and serve it with basmati rice. Simple, cheap, and delicious.

FAQ Tue 07-Oct-08 22:47:05

ooo Carmenere - do you have a recipe for lentil and carrot soup - I also bought loads of carrots the other day too - thinking I could do something with them as well grin

Overmydeadbody Tue 07-Oct-08 22:47:56

We get through so much that I buy huge sacks of them from Asian supermarkets.

Overmydeadbody Tue 07-Oct-08 22:48:41

lentil rissoles and lentil cutlets too

AllBuggiedOut Tue 07-Oct-08 22:54:18

I'd love that recipe please, BecauseImWorthIt.

And can anybody please link to the lentil and cheese wedges - not having any luck finding the recipe on here,thanks!

Carmenere Tue 07-Oct-08 22:57:46

This one looks about right.

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 07-Oct-08 23:02:53

OK - wrong book! It's from Rose Elliot's "Not Just a Load of Old Lentils"

Lentils and Mushrooms au Gratin

6 oz lentils
1 pint milk and water mixed
2 oz butter
1 large onion
juice and rind of 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon yeast extract (Marmite)
8 oz mushrooms
1-2 oz each of fresh breadcrumbs and grated cheese for topping

Soak the lentils in the liquid overnight or for a few hours if possible (I don't do this - I make sure that the pint of water/milk is really hot and then pour it over the lentils and leave to soak for about 30 minutes)

Simmer in the liquid until golden and tender

Meanwhile melt half the butter, add sliced onion and cook until tender but not brown

Add to lentils with lemon juice and grated rind, salt pepper and yeast extract; liquidise to make smooth, thick puree

Slice the mushrooms and fry in the rest of the butter until just tender

Place the mushrooms in a shallow casserole, top with the lentil mixture and the breadcrumbs and cheese

bake in a moderate oven, 350/GM4 for 40-45 minutes until golden and bubbly

Apologies that it's imperial rather than metric, but it's an old book!

I seem to remember that I used a lot more mushrooms the last time I made it, but I guess it's up to you.

FAQ Tue 07-Oct-08 23:06:46

Thanks everyone (and Carmenere especially for the link to the soup recipe) will do that tomorrow then the DS's can have homemade bread with real butter (usually a luxury item in this house - margaine usually I'm afraid for us blush) with it. They'll be very happy grin

StayFrostyShiversDownMySpine Tue 07-Oct-08 23:07:24

Make some dahl with garlic, onions, tinned tomatoes and put some creamed coconut in to make it extra delicious. add them to soups, casseroels, anything - once you have washed them and picked the gritty bits out they are totally low maintenance, just stick em in whatever you're cooking and they're done in about 20-30 mins. I do love the pulses, they make things taste hearty. Mmmmm, tasty.

AllBuggiedOut Tue 07-Oct-08 23:19:02

That sounds great, BIWI, thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now