Talk

Advanced search

Meat free meal suggestions please...

(20 Posts)
PortofinoPumpkin Tue 07-Oct-08 22:26:28

I'm trying to improve on my meal planning by doing a monthly delivered shop of staples ie toilet roll, washing powder, wine wink etc so I thought I'd make a list of all the meals we normally have on a regular basis so I can plan to have the basics (chopped toms, curry sauce etc) in and just buy the fresh stuff on a weekly basis.

When I wrote out my list though it really meat based (even though cheap stuff like chicken, mince, sausages) and I would love to add some decent veg/fish/pasta dishes to the mix. I got as far as baked potato with tuna, chesse and potato pie and pasta with asparagus and prawns - stuff in my normal repertoire - and realised I'd run out of inspiration. (Not normally a prob over summer when salad with something will suffice)

Any exciting suggestions? DH will not touch anything with courgettes or aubergines in (unless v. well disguised.)

racingsnake Tue 07-Oct-08 22:53:52

We all like egg and potato curry served with rice and a dollop of Greek yogurt, potato omlette, fritata, which seems to be left-over pasta and sauce set in a pan with egg, green beans in cheese sauce, green beans or broad beans in tomato sauce with rice or pasta and cheese on top, home-made pizza with tomato and mozarella and herbs, vegetable quiche with asparagus (v extravagant) or broccoli, onion tart with cheese ...

Overmydeadbody Tue 07-Oct-08 23:24:02

Lentil Dahl with rice and naan bread

vegetarian lasagne

spanish omelette with salad

fish pie

moroccan vegetable tagine with couscous

vegetable casserole

roasted veg with stuffing

kedgeree

salad nicouse

bean hotpot

Chinese vegetable stir fry

prawn curry

Potato Douphinous with baked beans

home made pizzas

twoboots Tue 07-Oct-08 23:39:25

smoked fish with leeks in pastas, soups and risottos.

Starbear Wed 08-Oct-08 00:07:24

Pumpkin soup (looks more like a stew)
Butternut Squash (I know I said Pumpkin)
or Pumpkin cut into cubes
Green pepper in cubes
French beans
1 whole onion
1 whole garlic bulb
1 potato in cubes
1/2 small cup of sunflower oil
salt and pepper
tin of chickpeas
1 stock cube
1 beef Tomato
Paprika 2 bay leaves
Flat parsley a handful tied with string

Roast the garlic whole. (We put it on a skewer in the middle and just turn it by hand)
Pot of water throw in all the ingredients and boil for add the sunflower oil. Turn down to simmer until all veg soft about 1 hour. Yummy! really
Ye old South London recipe from mad granny (ops my lovely Mum)

Starbear Wed 08-Oct-08 00:08:21

ops! No onion needed

Servalan Wed 08-Oct-08 00:14:02

Veggie version of shepherd's pie with puy lentils instead of the meat

Macaroni cheese

cauliflower cheese

home made Minestrone soup containing beans, macaroni, potatos, cabbage and whatever vegetables you have to spare (I made some and added some veggie suet dumplings on Saturday when we had a cold day - lovely grin)

Risotto with mushrooms, peas and cream cheese

Cheese and lentil loaf

Flans - various - cheese and leek, lentil etc.

Veggie sausage casserole

Quinoa with roasted vegetables

Spagetti with lentil bolognese

Stir fry

PortofinoPumpkin Wed 08-Oct-08 09:10:09

Some great suggestions - thank you. Sorry I had to go to bed last night....

j3 Wed 08-Oct-08 09:14:47

vegetable risotto
adding spinich to dishes

janeite Wed 08-Oct-08 17:21:58

Our usuals include:

root vegetable casserole with garlic bread

pasta with roasted vege and red pesto

baked potatoes with veggie sausage casserole

lentil hotpot thing, with a layer of sliced potatoes

various soups, followed by pudding!

dauphinoisse with veggie sausages, or with lentils cooked in red wine

fajitas with vege and quorn

chilli with rice and soured cream

veggie tagine with chickpeas and cous cous

thai vege curry and rice

chickpea curry and rice, or breads

veggie toad in the hole with vege

macaroni cheese

risotto

falafel, pittas, salad etc (wedges if I can be bothered)

Greek bean dish, with Greek salad, pittas, tsatziki

serin Wed 08-Oct-08 22:59:13

Good grief Starbear! One whole garlic bulb, bet that will keep the trick or treaters away!

HolidaysQueen Wed 08-Oct-08 23:14:15

ratatouille omelettes - cook omelette, add ratatouille, grate cheddar on top, be liberal with pepper, serve with a nice salad. Yum!

veg chilli - whatever veg you fancy, tin of chilli beans, tin of tomatoes. i can often get 8-9 different veg in and it tastes yummy

stir fry - stir fry any veg, plus meat or prawns if you want it. then add 1tbsp soy, 1tbsp oyster sauce and 1/2tsp sugar per person. Coook a little longer then add a mix of 1tsp cornflour in 2tbsp water to make it look glossy and thicken the sauce slightly

HolidaysQueen Wed 08-Oct-08 23:15:06

ah, just notice no courgette or aubergine so ratatouille doesn't work so well. oh well - any tomatoey/mushroomy/peppery type sauce would probably work equally well in omelette.

SmugColditz Wed 08-Oct-08 23:19:07

YOu have a wise husband - they are the fodder of Satan's minions

try woolton pie

Starbear Thu 09-Oct-08 08:25:06

Yes one whole Garlic bulb. When roasted the garlic turns very sweet. My family and I eat a very very mediterranean diet. Don't knock it until you've tried it, its very yummy comfort food

BecauseImAWitch Thu 09-Oct-08 08:46:30

I made a new recipe last night that was yummy - from the M&S Count on Us cookbook.

REcipe is for 4, but made loads - enough for 2 extra portions.

Vegetable and potato topped pie

1Kg (peeled weight) potatoes, cut into chunks
4 tablespoons semi-skimmed milk
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 small onions, finely chopped
80g dried brown or green lentils
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
100g mushrooms, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, finely chopped
200ml vegetable stock
4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
freshly ground pepper
50g half fat cheddar, grated (this is because it's a calorie counted meal, obviously you could use ordinary cheddar!)

preheat oven to 190/375/GM 5

Boil the potatoes until tender, then drain and mash with the milk

Heat the oil and saute the onions over a medium heat for a few minutes, till softened

Add the lentils, garlic and celery and stir, then add the mushrooms, carrot, stock, Worcestershire sauce, herbs and tomatoes and stir till combined

Bring to a simmer then cover and cook gently for 25 minutes or until the lentils are soft (I actually had to cook this for 40 minutes, so don't rely on the 25 minutes suggested!)

When the lentils are cooked, season the mixture to taste with black pepper (and salt if it needs it)

Spoon into a baking dish, top with the mashed potato and sprinkle on the cheese

Bake for 15 minutes until the potatoes are golden

Using the ingredients listed, this makes 370 calories per portion - and it's a huge portion!

PortofinoPumpkin Thu 09-Oct-08 08:51:28

Ooh thank you for all of this. I will print off and spend some time on my new menu list over the weekend. Hoping to sneak in the more veggie dishes without DH noticing....

mrspnut Thu 09-Oct-08 08:57:54

I make a mushroom pasta bake which is very yummy.

Mushrooms including some soaked porcini mushrooms sauted with a clove of garlic and a pinch of dried thyme. Add a splash of noilly prat or dry sherry and the porcini soaking liquid. Then add a little hot water and leave to simmer until syrupy. Take off the heat and add a handful of grated parmesan.

Cook pasta and make a white sauce.

Add some chopped parsley to the mushroom mix and add the white sauce to it.

Add the pasta to the mushroom/ white sauce mix and stir well, scatter over another handful of parmesan and bake at 200c for about 30 minutes.

Notquitegrownup Sun 26-Oct-08 15:44:44

Starbear - please could you confirm the cooking time for your pumpkin soup . . . boil for ??? add the sunflower oil. Turn down to simmer until all veg soft about 1 hour.

Sounds yummy - thanks!

scorpio1 Sun 26-Oct-08 15:47:09

Quorn fillet, with red pesto & creme fraiche, over tagliatelle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now