Talk

Advanced search

I have enough sage to sink a boat - what can I do with it?

(13 Posts)
MrsMuddle Mon 06-Oct-08 21:06:03

Please help - the sage is taking over my garden! I've got loads and loads of cook books, but no recipes for dealing with a sage surplus.

I'm thinking sage jelly (like mint jelly) - would that be nice, and how would I make it?

TIA

Word Mon 06-Oct-08 22:28:57

Can't help with the sage jelly but you could use a bit of your sage in SEASON PUDDING which is a kind of Yorkshire pudding thing:

(serves 3 to 4)

2 thick slices white bread
1 large onion
1 handful oatmeal or plain flour
2 oz suet
chopped sage
salt and pepper
1 egg
milk
----

Soak bread in milk.
Chop onion and cook in water till soft then drain and add to bread.
Using a fork, add the oatmeal, suet, sage, seasoning and egg and mix to a sloppy texture (add more milk if nec).
Cook in hot fat like Yorkshire Pudding for 45 mins.

Yummy with gravy before a joint of pork!

gigglewitch Mon 06-Oct-08 22:36:20

we have an absolute shed-load (must've been a good year for it!) Have dried most of it, <boring> crushed it up and parceled it off to friends in little bags so that they can put it in their pasta sauces and turkey stuffing; also really fancy doing something with the fresh stuff, am proposing to try freezing some hmm - does it freeze???
Will bookmark here, i'll be back!!!

madlentileater Mon 06-Oct-08 22:38:25

make a sage version of pesto?

JackieNo Mon 06-Oct-08 22:38:38

Not sure if you can freeze as is - usually the way to freeze fresh herbs is to chop them, and freeze them in ice cube trays with a bit of water. We have tons too, and rosemary. Sometimes if I'm cutting the bushes back, I stick the bits in a bucket at the front of the house with a 'please help yourself' sign on it.

Carmenere Mon 06-Oct-08 22:42:05

You could puree some with butter, shape it into a sausage and wrap it in greaseproof paper. Then freeze it and slice off anytime you are making pasta, it is very good with ravioli or anything with squash or pumpkin or you could shove it under the skin of a chicken.

You could not use it to make a pesto type sauce as it has an unpleasant perfumy taste if it is too concentrated.

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 06-Oct-08 22:43:16

sage jelly

I've not made it myself but I have a jar from a friend, it is delish.

This recipe looks easy enough.

HTH

combustiblelemon Mon 06-Oct-08 22:59:10

Sage leaves are yummy roasted (with squash, cinnamon and chilli) or fried

MrsMuddle Wed 08-Oct-08 23:25:38

Thanks everyone - had been offline for a day, and when I last looked at this thread no-one had answered!

Delighted to read all these responses. I have enough to try everything on this thread and still have a ton leftover.

Gigglewitch, how do you dry it? (I don't have a microwave.)

Prufrock Wed 08-Oct-08 23:30:55

Dry it by tying bunches and hanging stalks up in a warm place (My mum always used to hang hers on the pan rack above the hob)

For fried sage leaves, I don't bother with a batter- just rinse fresh leaves, dry well, and deep fry in oil - absolutely fabulous as a topping on pasta dishes, or just as nibbles

berolina Wed 08-Oct-08 23:35:07

This evening we had penne tossed in butter and sage, with parmesan.

TooTicky Wed 08-Oct-08 23:37:14

Just keep frying it with onions and bask in the smell.

I love it in veg stews.

Or you could dry some to use later...

SuperBunny Wed 08-Oct-08 23:47:29

You can freeze it as it it - just bung it in a freezer bag and suck out the air. Then you can pull a couple of leaves out to add to stews or pasta sauces or whatever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now