Talk

Advanced search

really really really dumb question about packet baby food

(9 Posts)
KathH Wed 02-Mar-05 16:55:56

apologies in advance for the dumbness of this question but have bought ds a packet of baby porridge for his breakfast. he has reflux and getting him to actually drink milk is a problem so i thought i'd be really clever and mix some of it in the porridge but i notice on the instructions it says to mix with water. I'd rather mix it with the milk - is there some reason why it says to mix it with water? I have 4 children but am really really out of practice with this baby malarky!

HunkerMunker Wed 02-Mar-05 16:57:16

Does it already have milk in it (some are made with formula). How old is he? Can he have proper porridge (plain oatso simple's good)?

nnosam Wed 02-Mar-05 17:02:24

i always used to mix baby food with milk, i tasted it made with water and it was realy crap so made it with milk and ds liked it better. my hv never said there was a problem with it. so i would do so.

KathH Wed 02-Mar-05 17:04:02

he's just over 5 mths (i know advice about weaning but we were advised to start at 4 mths by paediatrician (sp?). With him being so little that's why i try to get as much milk in him as i can - thought i could be very cunning & try to get him to have an oz or whatever extra in the porridge as it is an absolute nightmare to actually get him to drink any milk.

nnosam Wed 02-Mar-05 17:06:06

i would go for it if i were you, if you still unsure about it have a word with your hv. she shall be able to advice on a larger scale

hercules Wed 02-Mar-05 17:07:47

I cant imagine it would do any harm to mix with milk.

KathH Wed 02-Mar-05 17:19:16

thanks for replies - have made an executive decision and am going to carry on mixing with milk, at least for a while longer and besides there's not a great danger sign saying beware - under no circumstances mix with milk!

Gwenick Wed 02-Mar-05 17:20:51

I mixed all of DS1's packet foods with milk - and before DS2 could eat wheetabix I mixed his formula with the packet breakfasts

Catilla Wed 02-Mar-05 18:21:43

Some say milk and some say either water or milk. My ds is allergic to milk so can't have baby food which already has milk in, but can have milk-free food mixed with his special milk. Organix have a apple & raspberry cereal (based on rice) which is I have made with both milk and water, depending how much milk he's drunk that day. I have also seen a banana porridge without milk, can't remember which brand though.

If your ds is still under 6 months, might be better to avoid cows milk and gluten and stick to something like the one I've used.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now