Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

URGENT LENTIL ADVICE needed please...

(12 Posts)
PavlovtheWitchesCat Sun 05-Oct-08 19:16:47

I have chucked a ton of green lentils into my sausage casserole. It has been cooking away for about hour, and tastes pretty good.

BUT....I read the back and it clearly states they MUST be soaked for 9-12 hours AND boiled for 10 mins before putting into slow cooker. (while mine is not a slow cooker, it is slow cooking).

Theses are different ones to the ones I usually get, which do not need pre-soaking, just cooking for at least 20 mins. And to be honest I hardly use them, I use red split lentils which are fine.

What will happen if I eat this yummy dinner? Will I get poisoned? hmm. DH said I should not eat it as it is toxic, I told him it will be fine (neither he or DD will be eating it).

Can you please let me know if I should get ready to call Emergency Dr after eating several mouthfuls grin. Seriously, should I just have beans on toast?

Carmenere Sun 05-Oct-08 19:18:02

Lentils don't generally need pre-soaking. What variety are they?

mrspnut Sun 05-Oct-08 19:19:14

and afaik it's only red kidney beans that contain a toxin.

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 05-Oct-08 19:20:25

I can't see how this would be a problem with lentils. The soaking will only be to soften them, which you will have achieved anyway via long cooking.

If you're really worried, bring the casserole to the boil for 5 minutes or so.

SingingBear Sun 05-Oct-08 19:22:24

Message withdrawn

PavlovtheWitchesCat Sun 05-Oct-08 19:23:18

They are just 'green lentils' - dried.

That is pretty much what I thought, but DH has got all hot under the collar about it 'see thats why I don't cook with lentils, soooo confusing' grin.

They are nice and soft, so clearly are cooked. They have actually been cooking for more like 1hr 45 mins, so not raw at all...

Good, I would have hated to have spent hours cooking only to chuck it out.

(knew DH was being a tad overcautious!).

I wonder why the warning on the back. This is what it says word for word:

DO NOT EA RAW PULSES.
Never cook beans in a slow cooker unless pre soaked for at least 8 hours AND boiled for 10 mins.

*soak in plenty of water for 9-12 hours or overnight.
* Rinse thoroughly and place in a pan with fresh unsalted water
*Bring to the boil and summer for 30-40 mins or until tender.

PavlovtheWitchesCat Sun 05-Oct-08 19:24:14

<mumbles with mouthful of lentil and sausage casserole> phew thanks all, I am eating with pleasure now!!!

SingingBear Sun 05-Oct-08 19:25:48

Message withdrawn

SaintRiven Sun 05-Oct-08 19:27:21

they only recommend the boiling and disacrding the water cos it gets rid of the 'farty' bits. I love green lentils.

PavlovtheWitchesCat Sun 05-Oct-08 19:40:57

SaintRiven - (love the new name btw) - oh dear, I have to run a group tomorrow, 15 of us in close proximity blush. I shall blame someone else! grin

SaintRiven Sun 05-Oct-08 20:30:26

hehehehehe

MerlinsBeard Sun 05-Oct-08 20:33:53

wear squeaky shoes ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now