Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can a vegetarian go wheat AND dairy free?

(18 Posts)
KerryMumblesEvilCurses Sun 05-Oct-08 15:34:21

Cause I think they're doing me in. Both dss have loads of allergies. I am very bloated around middle. I am starting to think it's the wheat and dairy. Also major sinus problems.

But what in the world will I eat?

sigh.

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Sun 05-Oct-08 15:37:54

Vegans manage without dairy so I wouldn't have thought it would be that difficult (says she, a dedicated meat and dairy fan!). Wheat you'd replace with wheat-free alternatives.

KerryMumblesEvilCurses Sun 05-Oct-08 15:39:47

thanks dragon.

i barely cook for myself as it is. too busy cooking for the boys all the time.

I have sunk to mostly ready meal type things sad

I know they are bad but I never have time or energy to cook fresh for myself.

The only thing I worry about is my tea. Can't give that up and have it very milky.

MegBusset Sun 05-Oct-08 15:44:27

I did it for a year or so due to colitis. I lived on a lot of the following:

Rice noodle stir fries
WF pasta/bread
Curry
Potatoes
Quinoa
Fruit tea

It is hard to start with but you soon get used to checking the ingredients. I lost loads of weight, and it improved my digestion a lot. Having said that, it was a relief when I managed to reintroduce wheat and dairy without any problems!

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Sun 05-Oct-08 16:46:46

Can't you all eat the same or a version of the same? The ready meal type stuff can't be helping.

Maybe try wheat-free and see if that improves things. If you do both at once, you won't know which (if either) was causing a problem.

AbricotsSecs Sun 05-Oct-08 16:58:01

Message withdrawn

AbricotsSecs Sun 05-Oct-08 17:01:33

Message withdrawn

KerryMumblesEvilCurses Sun 05-Oct-08 18:33:48

good suggestions. Thanks.

Can deffo do curries. But isn't there dairy in curry sauce sad

wheat free first? crikes. It's going to take me all day to just cook for the 3 of us with our varying diets.

Overmydeadbody Sun 05-Oct-08 18:37:58

There's no dairy in curry sauce if you make it from scratch yourself!smile

Could you not cook one evening meal for all of you that excludes everyone's allergies or would that be too limiting?

I make a lot of dairy and gluten free meals for my customers, including shepherd's pie (I'm sure you could do a veggie version), fish pie (do you eat fish or are you a proper veggie?grin)

Stir fries with rice and rice noodles

AbricotsSecs Sun 05-Oct-08 19:04:13

Message withdrawn

AbricotsSecs Sun 05-Oct-08 19:07:51

Message withdrawn

FrayedKnot Sun 05-Oct-08 19:28:27

What kind of things do you cook for your boys?

It's easy to base a meal around pulses. I put coconut cream in curry sauce to make it lovely and creamy.

KerryMumblesEvilCurses Sun 05-Oct-08 19:33:23

well ds1 is allergic to every form of vegetarian protein so he has to eat meat. Well poultry and fish only as he's allergic to most everything else except lamb. I've been a vegetarian for almost 25 years now. I'm not going to eat meat now.

ds1's diet is severely limited.

I don't think there is anything that we eat together other than veg and potatoes. There is a stir fry I make for him that he loves I suppose I could try that.

I am eating cherry tomatoes, cucumber and peppers now.

Takver Sun 05-Oct-08 19:54:31

I have a good book called The Single Vegan (I'm not single, you can just multiply up for more - not vegan either, but DH has dairy allergy) that has lots of quick & easy recipes.
Also I like that it is set up so that often you can make one recipe, but then there is a recipe that turns the leftovers into something a bit different so you can eat it several days without going mad.
Once you have easy vegan food you just avoid anything with wheat in which is pretty simple to do, easier IMO than avoiding dairy. We had to do this for a while as the doctors took a while to sort out if DH was wheat allergic as well as dairy (luckily he isn't, only to cows milk).
I've met loads of people who don't eat wheat or dairy (perils of moving in hippy circles) and they all look perfectly well fed!

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Tue 07-Oct-08 10:22:50

thanks takver! smile will look into it.

I still haven't started yet, finishing off stuff I have in fridge first. Then I think this weekly shop I will make a move sad

witchandchips Tue 07-Oct-08 10:32:29

I would honestly try and ditch the ready meals and make your own food before ditching any major food groups. Ready meals are low in nutrients and high in salt, all likely to make you feel a bit bleurgh.

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Tue 07-Oct-08 10:40:45

so ditch ready meals.

no change

stop wheat

no change

stop dairy.

sound like a plan?

witchandchips Tue 07-Oct-08 10:50:21

I would stop dairy before wheat simply because wheat (like other grains) is an important and one of the easiest way vegans and veggies get their protein.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now