Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about apples for apple crumble

(17 Posts)
PeaMcLean Sun 05-Oct-08 13:57:20

I've only ever used cooking apples.

DH wants to use the ones which came off the tree.

Does he have to boil them first before baking in the over under the crumble? I have vague memory that if he doesn't they'll never soften. Is that right?

ScareyBitchFeast Sun 05-Oct-08 13:58:29

is this eating apples you are cooking with or bramleys?
with bramleys i cook gently in saucepan for a short while.
but havent used eating apples for crumble. i believe they are probably much softer <<havent a clue>>

Twiglett Sun 05-Oct-08 13:59:02

bramleys

not eating apples

DrZeus Sun 05-Oct-08 13:59:09

Hi
I've used cookers or eaters. I just slice them, add a splash of liquid (either water or orange juice), dried fruit and the crumble topping. Turns out just fine!

PeaMcLean Sun 05-Oct-08 13:59:47

Is a cooking apple and a bramley the same thing? [clueless too] If so, no, they're deffo eating apples he's got.

ScareyBitchFeast Sun 05-Oct-08 14:00:18

personally i LOVE dates in apple curmble, and cinnamon, and cloves

ScareyBitchFeast Sun 05-Oct-08 14:00:51

yes - a cooking apple is a bramley grin

Lilymaid Sun 05-Oct-08 14:02:08

Bramleys cook very quickly so it is unlikely that they will be hard if you don't cook them before putting the crumble topping on. However, I often part cook them in the microwave in the baking dish (cuts down on washing up) before putting topping on and placing in the oven.

PeaMcLean Sun 05-Oct-08 14:02:16

LOL he's just gone to look at the apples he's so badly carefully stored.

We won't be having apple crumble today grin blush

muggglewump Sun 05-Oct-08 14:04:37

I'm making apple and blackberry crumble today.
I just slice eating apples and use them with whole blackberries, but of sugar, small splash of water and top with the crumble (slightly more flour to butter and some brown sugar) I never measure, just do it by sight but there's a recipe here

ScareyBitchFeast Sun 05-Oct-08 14:07:46

yum, we had that last weekend muggle, picked blackberries on saturday, crumble on sunday <<mary poppins here>>

PeaMcLean Sun 05-Oct-08 16:23:30

I've hardly seen any blackberries this year - I got the impression it had been too wet for them.

Well, DH found some apples which were ok and the crumble's in the oven.

DH has never made an apple crumble before. In fact, he rarely cooks. It's a special day in the McLean household grin

VanillaPumpkin Sun 05-Oct-08 16:40:54

shock, I always pre-cook my apples in a saucepan. Have I really been wasting my time all these years......?

PeaMcLean Sun 05-Oct-08 16:43:14

Dunno. Will tell you around 7pm grin

VanillaPumpkin Sun 05-Oct-08 17:31:03

grin

Mercy Sun 05-Oct-08 17:33:26

I made apple crumble last week.

The apples were great (from someone's garden!) but the topping was a disaster, like sawdust.

What did I do wrong?

ScareyBitchFeast Sun 05-Oct-08 20:18:13

i do half jumbo porridge oats and half flour - 4oz of each.
4 oz butter
3 to 4 oz brown sugar.

perhaps you didnt have enough butter?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now