Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

casserole - does it matter what kind of beef it is if I cook it long enough and slow enough?

(10 Posts)
BBBee Sat 04-Oct-08 18:25:50

DP bought lean beef rather than chuck steak (as recipe said) I have followed recipe and bunged it in the oven - we are not having it until tomorrow lunch so it can be cooked long and slow.

I just had a check and the meat is tough beyond tough - will a good few hours on 'slow cook' rememdy this???

JohnsonsShampoo Sat 04-Oct-08 18:26:35

Should do.

What on earth is Chuck Beef?

littlelapin Sat 04-Oct-08 18:27:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lilymolly Sat 04-Oct-08 18:28:43

oh chuck steak is the best for casseroles mmm mm mmmmmmm

cook it for long enough, it should break down

JohnsonsShampoo Sat 04-Oct-08 18:32:43

My braising steak from butchers never has an ounce of fat on.....tastes wonderful after 3+hrs....

lizziemun Sat 04-Oct-08 19:27:10

I would just cook for as long as you can.

I'm doing beef stew for tomorrow so i've put it in the slow cooker now and i turn it off when i go to bed then swich it back on tomorrow when i get up.

BBBee Sat 04-Oct-08 19:30:13

thank you everyone - so it is in the oven now on 'slow cook' - if i turn it off at midnight and back on tom morning it might work you think?

I am rubbish at meat generally and every so often I try something like this and learn my lesson all over again!

we have pasta in the cupboard

lizziemun Sat 04-Oct-08 20:28:42

Yes it should be ok.

BBBee Sun 05-Oct-08 18:20:45

thanks everyone for the advice - cooked on low for five hours today and it suddenely went all tender and delicious - without you it might be in the dog!

skidoodle Sun 05-Oct-08 18:23:32

I would have thought it wouldn't work without fatty meat. Good to know it worked out and was all delicious in the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now