Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What do you put in Stovies? DP keeps on at me to make it not sure how or what.

(23 Posts)
mamadiva Sat 04-Oct-08 15:32:28

Please.

GentleOtter Sat 04-Oct-08 15:35:47

Ma Broon's recipe for stovies

Mercy Sat 04-Oct-08 15:40:00

Get him to make it himself if he likes it so much

Overmydeadbody Sat 04-Oct-08 15:41:53

Im' with mercy here. If he wants it he should make it

MadamAnt Sat 04-Oct-08 15:49:32

Come on folks, if MD is the "head chef" in the house, it's not unreasonable for her DH to put in the odd request.

MMMMmmmm I used to love stovies. DH is veggie, so I never get to cook it for him.

GentleOtter Sat 04-Oct-08 15:53:38

The best vegetarian stovies I ever had (at a ceilidh) had potatoes,onions, leeks and cashew nuts in them, cooked in a vegetarian stock.
Served with a big fat oatcake.

Mercy Sat 04-Oct-08 15:56:42

I'm the head chef in our house but I wouldn't accept my dh keep going on at me to make something I knew nothing about.

I don't know, maybe mamadiva didn't mean it like that.

MadamAnt Sat 04-Oct-08 16:02:52

OMG vegetarian stovies! shock How wonderful! Although I can't help but feel it would be a bit like having a vegetarian fillet steak iykwim grin

I quite like it when DH asks for particular dishes. It's fun learning new recipes IMO.

twinksprite Sat 04-Oct-08 18:58:01

i soften onions in a pan add potatoes and top up with beef stock, when potatoes are cooked drain water. Chop up a can of corned beef and add it to potatoes and onion, then mash it altogether. serve with oatcakes and beetroot.

mamadiva Sat 04-Oct-08 23:58:13

Oops sorry people ran away for a few hours LOL.

No I ask DP if he has any ideas for meals that he would like during the week same as I have my say IYKWIM.

He has said a few times about stovies but no one seems to be able to tell me whats in it, it must change from place to place I think.

Have been told its leftovers from sunday roast, mince potatoes and baked beans but that sounds fowl and cant be right surely LOL.

Candlewax Sun 05-Oct-08 00:06:26

My DH is Scottish. I will ask him tomorrow because he was wittering on about Stovies the other day with another Scottish friend. I know if involves mashed potatoe, swede (turnip to Scots) and mince.

mamadiva Sun 05-Oct-08 00:09:19

Oh candlewax I always wondered what a swede was LOL.

We are scottish too so didn't know that

Thank you I think it varies from person to person and region but I just havent heard one I fancy yet LOL. Beanbs and mince do not mix IMO.

AuraofDora Sun 05-Oct-08 00:10:26

it varies regionally
its a left over dish
so make up your own version!

we had it with tatties turnip onions leeks sausages (have heard of others using corned beef shock}
for the record i never liked it but my mum is not the best of cooks and now i dont eat meat..

Candlewax Sun 05-Oct-08 12:44:20

My DH says it is all mince, tatties, neeps and onions all mixed in together. He comes from Aberdeen and that is how his mother always used to make it.

ScottishMummy Sun 05-Oct-08 12:47:44

stovies,everyone makes it differently,everyone swears theirs is the definitive recipe

my mum made it with
mince
onion
carrots
tatties
any ole left overs too

GentleOtter Sun 05-Oct-08 14:14:12

Left over roast silverside is good - especially one with a bit of fat on it.
Thickly sliced potatoes
Onions chopped sideways (like rings)
Salt & pepper
A dod of lard
Half cover everything with a meat stock in water and cook very slowly for ages until the potatoes are cooked. They might slightly fall apart but that does not matter.

SuperBunny Sun 12-Oct-08 22:28:22

Ooooo, inspired by this thread, I made a veggie version this week and they were delicious.

Thank you!

Dalrymps Sun 12-Oct-08 22:39:46

My mil makes it with corned beef, onions, potatoes in gravy, it's delicious!

I've heard some people make it with bacon too?!

It's just a bit like stew really.

LuLuMacGloo Sun 12-Oct-08 22:44:47

Superbunny - what was your veggie version. Am desperate for stovies as result of this thread but am now veggie...

SuperBunny Sun 12-Oct-08 23:31:09

Lulu, I based mine on www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/stovies_8180.shtml this recipe but added a few tablespoons of veg stock (it was a slightly meaty tasting one)

LuLuMacGloo Mon 13-Oct-08 11:03:43

Thanks superbunny - that's fab.

AMumInScotland Mon 13-Oct-08 11:59:22

The only requirements is it should be mainly potatoes, and cook it on the hob! Apart from that, you can use whatever vegetables you have around (fresh, frozen, tinned, leftovers), plus whatever cooked meat you have (leftover from a roast, a spare chop, tinned corned beef, etc), and some stock (fresh, from a cube, or leftover gravy!) Cook until the potatoes are soft, and bash it about - you're looking for something more chunky than mash, but all mixed together and soft.

Yummy - mine's usually got carrots and the end of a ham joint....

GentleGarotter Mon 13-Oct-08 12:15:18

I made a quite posh version yesterday which are not true stovies but were lovely.

Vegetarian posh 'stovies'

3leeks chopped and cooked in butter
5 large potatoes sliced
4onions
1 vegetable stock cube with a little water
an entire carton of double cream
cheese on top

Put everything into a casserole dish and bake in a slow oven for two hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now