Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I know its early but can anyone link to/suggest things children can cook as Xmas gifts

(40 Posts)
anyoneelse Fri 03-Oct-08 22:19:33

Every Xmas we have to think of ideas for some very elderly relatives (in their 70's and 80's) who basically dont want anything but of course we have to give them something!
I am not much of a cook myself but wondered about giving some sort of homemade food gift which the children had made. It has to be smallish/something which will keep as they travel to the family home from quite a way and dont want to have to cart a large smelly item around!
Has there been a thread in previous years with any ideas? I was thinking we ought to get a practice round in before embarking on the final gift later in the year. (I really am not much of a cook so need trial runs!).
Thanks in advance.

Onlyaphase Fri 03-Oct-08 22:23:19

I remember making fudge and also peppermint creams as a child. Peppermint creams would be very easy to make as I think they are just icing sugar, water and mint flavouring. Could package up nicely in cellophane and a ribbon?

Onlyaphase Fri 03-Oct-08 22:27:09

Or chocolate truffles - recipe here though they do need eating within 3 days

onepieceoflollipop Fri 03-Oct-08 22:30:10

rofl at "large smelly item" - did you worry we would suggest you learn how to make stilton?

<<makes notes on ideas suggested>>

anyoneelse Fri 03-Oct-08 22:48:16

For some reason one of these aunts always gives stilton. So maybe it was in my subconscious grin
I think the idea of sweets is the way to go but cant be something needing to be eaten in 3 days as we would have to have it made at least 3 days before we see them and they always have so much food it would have to wait its turn to be eaten!

Fudge is a maybe - does it keep? But would welcome more ideas. I thought maybe there were some set Xmas pieces that I just needed to be pointed towards.

Last year we decorated pottery. Havent ventured into food before. Vague recollections of mother making biscuits with us but I dont think they would transport that well or "look" the part unless they were more special somehow.

Will bump this over the next few days as its probably not a friday night topic.

onepieceoflollipop Fri 03-Oct-08 22:55:31

anyoneelse on a slight aside we save little tins (the sort that nice biscuits/sweets come in rather than baked beans wink) through the year and have quite a collection ready to fill for Christmas.

Gingerbread biscuits? Some people hang them on the tree. tbh I will probably just do a few chocolate crispy cakes with pretty decorations, but I am rubbish at making fudge etc.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 03-Oct-08 22:57:40

chutney?
Its my mad idea for teachers gifts this year as we have lots of green tomatoes. Was going to get dd to help make a jam as well and give the jars in pairs.
school will prob think we are very odd grin

hobnob Fri 03-Oct-08 23:01:42

What about stained glass window biscuits? You cut a hole in the centre of the biscuits and put crushed bolied sweets in the middle. Very pretty and impressive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/stainedglasswindowbi_87505.shtml

hobnob Fri 03-Oct-08 23:02:31

Boiled, rather than bolied. Although you can use bolied ones if that's all you've got.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 03-Oct-08 23:05:33

lol - do bolied ones have spices in them?

combustiblelemon Fri 03-Oct-08 23:12:34

Gingerbread tree decorations- the ones iced to look like little christmat trees.

combustiblelemon Fri 03-Oct-08 23:16:12

Christmas. Not Christmat, the lesser known winter festival.

PurpleOne Fri 03-Oct-08 23:55:23

Fudge and shortbread is always good.

anyoneelse Sat 04-Oct-08 10:02:58

Thanks for suggestions so far.

Now the stained glass ones SOUND good but I am wondering if reality will be that our biscuits fall apart either in the making and baking or the transporting stage. How easy is it really? I suppose we could do a trial run and see.

Chutney is a nice idea but I dont think the children will delight in it in the same way.

So far I am thinking along fudge, shortbread and gingerbread lines. Possibly some of each? Am also thinking if we really get some practice in it could do for the teachers as well now! Have about ten teachers/assistants of various things which I struggle to buy for each year.

Do I need airtight containers then - have not collected any tins at all so think I would like to buy something suitable rather than try and eat my way through stuff at this stage. I have collected a few of those nice glass coffee jars but smallish ones.

Sources of inexpensive pretty (possibly Xmassy) containers needed now as well as recipes. [hopeful]

NorbertDentressangle Sat 04-Oct-08 10:07:21

If you do a search on MN for White Chocolate and Cranberry fudge that is delicious and very festive.

lucysmam Sat 04-Oct-08 14:24:59

anyone else, if they're to be made by the kids I don't think they have to 'look the part' iyswim. Let the kids run riot so to speak with sparkles/icing or whatever!

For stuff to present them in, try Lakeland. They sell pretty inexpensive cellophane wrapper type things decorated with xmassy stuff. Think they're 1.99 for 30. smile

onepieceoflollipop Sat 04-Oct-08 14:26:37

Could you/dcs decorate some small tupperware type boxes? I know they aren't very festive but they are of course airtight and will protect the contents a bit. Or get some nice gift bags and pop the containers in there?

If you go to a big Wilkos/Tesco/Asda you can get them from about 39p-£1 depending on size.

lunavix Sat 04-Oct-08 14:45:47

the lakeland wrappers are www.lakeland.co.uk/christmas-gift-bags/F/C/christmas/C/christmas-christmas-preparation/product/1484

lunavix Sat 04-Oct-08 14:46:03

how about mince pies?

lucysmam Sat 04-Oct-08 18:41:48

lunavix, they're the ones! I have them ordered to put some star shaped biccys decorated by the lo in for family and my best mate

anyoneelse Sat 04-Oct-08 18:52:48

Ohhh white chocolate and cranberry fudge sounds divine. I would like that. Will look into it.
And will def try the Lakeland suggestion for wrappers too.
And already have some good shapes for Xmas biscuits - was given a set a few years ago - will dig them out - kids can run riot with decorating side of it but I want the product to be edible!

This is ridiculous thinking so far ahead - is not me at all. But I just have a feeling I need to get on top of it earlier this year. Thanks for the ideas.

Overmydeadbody Sat 04-Oct-08 18:56:07

DS makes the stained glass biscuits all the time and they don't fall apart and they travel well. Seriously, they look great and people are always impressed by them!

Even better if you get a big star cookie/playdough cutter and a very tiny one to cut the middle out with, then the melted sweet is is a star shape within the star biscuit if that makes sense.

I like making truffles as presents, with unusual flavours. Last year the nutmeg ones went down a storm, as did the chilli ones.

Overmydeadbody Sat 04-Oct-08 18:57:25

Look everyone will love them.

Overmydeadbody Sat 04-Oct-08 18:58:29

more

onepieceoflollipop Sat 04-Oct-08 19:38:49

Did your ds make those on the links OMDB? They are fantastic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now