Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got a good burger recipe please?

(19 Posts)
feetheart Fri 03-Oct-08 10:11:52

DC keen on making our own (which they might even eat!!). Anyone got a good recipe or any handy tips?
TIA

fishie Fri 03-Oct-08 10:13:20

i just use mince. nice mince from the butcher though. i have good recipe for buns if you like.

ComeOVeneer Fri 03-Oct-08 10:16:18

I buy decent steak and make my own mince that way you know what is in it. I add an egg, a couple of table spoons of freshly made breadcrumbs, a teaspoon of mustard powder, a finely diced onion (small), then whatever herbs or spices I feelike (often a dash of worcestershire sauce, some cumin, fresh parsley etc).. Mix it up by hand , form patties (I use lakelands burger maker).. Pop in fridge for 30 mins then cook on Foreman grill.

girlandboy Fri 03-Oct-08 10:16:32

Good mince (though not too lean)
1 egg to bind
breadcrumbs
chopped fried onion
steak seasoning (a good sprinkle)
salt (though you can leave this out)

Mix together and shape into burgers. I've got a burger maker from Lakeland which means I don't get messy hands.

Put in fridge to firm up a bit before cooking.

girlandboy Fri 03-Oct-08 10:17:37

ComeOVeneer - sounds like you and I shop at the same place!grin

ComeOVeneer Fri 03-Oct-08 10:18:43

I love Lakeland. DH tries to hide the catalogue when it arrives! grin

RupertTheBear Fri 03-Oct-08 10:19:57

I make Jamie Oliver's Botham Burgers which are fantastic! I don't make them as big as he says though - just use the mixture to make double the amount of burgers he suggests. Let me know if you want the recipe.

girlandboy Fri 03-Oct-08 10:22:47

I have a collection of Lakeland catalogue's. They make dh really cross for some reason.hmm He doesn't complain that he has really neat burgers though.

feetheart Fri 03-Oct-08 11:14:32

Thanks everyone, that's great, burgers for tea tonight smile

Would like the bun recipe if you have it to hand fishie and yes please to the Jamie recipe too RtheB.

I have a burger maker too that we rescued from my old flat recently, hence interest from DC in making burgers I think. Good tip about putting them in the fridge too, thanks.

I also have £45 worth of Lakeland vouchers to spend (I asked for them for my birthday, does that officially make me sad/old?) I am spreading out the pleasure by taking my time to spend them - much drooling over catalogues to annoy DH grin

RupertTheBear Fri 03-Oct-08 12:24:10

Ingredients
2 pounds minced beef, preferably organic
2 medium red onions, finely chopped
2 eggs
1 to 2 handfuls fresh bread crumbs
1 tablespoon coriander seeds, crushed
1 small pinch cumin seeds, crushed
1 heaped teaspoon Dijon mustard
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Mix and scrunch all the ingredients together. Use the bread crumbs as required to bind and lighten the mixture. Divide into 4, then gently and lightly mold and pack each burger together into smallish cricket-ball-sized shapes. Place in the oven and roast for 25 minutes, which should leave the middle slightly pink and the outside nice and crispy. Serve with a griddled bun, a little salad, some gherkins, tomato salsa, a pint of Guinness and a bottle of Ketchup. Howzat!

I cook them through thoroughly (not sure about burgers being served pink in the middle!) and like I said earlier I make them much smaller than he recommends. I also don't tend to oven bake them - they are fine under the grill or on the barbeque (in the distant past when we used to have summers when you could actually get the barbeque out of the garage!)

PrincessPeaHead Fri 03-Oct-08 12:27:35

finest burger recipe on earth, which I now share with you all:

stick about 1/3 of an onion and 1/3 of a red pepper in a magimix, whizz until v fine

mix into 400g mince, together with pinch of salt, generous pinch of oregano and a good couple of splashes of lea and perrins worcester sauce

form into burgers, cook, enjoy

<<drool>>

lulumama Fri 03-Oct-08 12:30:03

use good minced steak from butchers, rock salt , splash of worcester sauce, egg to bind and matzoh meal instead of breadcrumbs.....bit of minced onion too if you want. dead easy, squish into patties and cook.

so easy and taste so much better than shop bought burgers.

girlandboy Fri 03-Oct-08 12:34:19

Feetheart - v. jealous about the Lakeland vouchers. envy New catalogue has just popped through door "entertaining made easy" <<puts feet up with nice cup of tea and new catalogue - ahhhhhh>>

Princess - Yummmmm, putting red pepper in as well - I will try that the next time I make them.

ComeOVeneer Fri 03-Oct-08 13:24:56

Funnily enough lulumama last week when I made burgers I didn't have any bread to make breadcrumbs (I was in the process of baking a loaf) so I substituted matzo meal.

lulumama Fri 03-Oct-08 13:26:28

i heart matzoh meal

especially as i never have breadcrumbs in and no processor to make them in!

ComeOVeneer Fri 03-Oct-08 13:30:34

One of dd's favourite lunches is fried matzo with a fried egg on top!

lulumama Fri 03-Oct-08 13:45:06

ooooooooh ! like matzoh brei?

baiyu Fri 03-Oct-08 22:55:05

Burgers bound together with mango chutney instead of egg are my mum's speciality. Don't know where she got the idea but they are so good (they don't really taste like mango btw, just delicious)

I'm off to the lakeland website of I can do so without DP noticing!

ComeOVeneer Sat 04-Oct-08 14:34:10

Yes it is brei, but (dh's speciality) it has an extra fried egg on top (as if it isn't unhealthy enough already grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now