Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Charlie and Lola birthday cake ! help !

(24 Posts)
Cocobabe Thu 02-Oct-08 20:53:14

my dd's 5th birthday coming up and she is a big fan of c&l ..where can i find a cake with lola on it ? or where can i get a pix of lola to print off on cake ? ...ideas please!

geraldinetheluckygoat Thu 02-Oct-08 20:56:26

Have you looked on ebay? they often do rice paper printed cake toppers with characters on....also I think that you can get photos printed on websites, maybe you have to email them a pic, so maybe you could also do it this way?
Or, could you get some c and l figures from woolies, or wherever, bake a cake and do it pink, then ice really simple flowers and butterflies round the edge, and bung the figures on the top!

norksinmywaistband Thu 02-Oct-08 20:59:59

this would be one option

Cocobabe Thu 02-Oct-08 21:06:50

both sounds good idea - just a matter whether i can fit the time to do it or not and go with the other option - but worry whether the cake topper would break in the post ?!......

bythepowerofgreyskull Thu 02-Oct-08 21:07:26

look at my profile if you like either I can tell you how I did them

Cocobabe Thu 02-Oct-08 21:43:28

Wow ! greyskull- your cakes look great ! even your cupcakes looks perfect - i can never get my cupcakes to look like that ! - whats yr secret ?!envy
so how did you get lola on the cake ? ( u can email me the details pls x )

Cocobabe Thu 02-Oct-08 21:47:06

thanks everyone for your ideas x I'm inspired now

Cocobabe Thu 02-Oct-08 21:47:08

thanks everyone for your ideas x I'm inspired now

bythepowerofgreyskull Thu 02-Oct-08 22:08:04

so I printed out this image
the size of the cake (Having Iced the cake with Cream rollout icing)
I then coloured up the roll out icing to the pink for the face and yellow for the hair and rolled and used the picture as a template to cut out the pieces as if they were playdoh. using a little water on the back of each individual piece I put the shape of the face on first then the hair then eyes.
I bought a pack of edible felt tip pens to do the black on the eyes and hair.

Hope that makes some sense. smile

geraldinetheluckygoat Fri 03-Oct-08 16:00:08

btpogs, how did you get the sugarpaste on so smoothly?! I have cake smoothers but they still come out bumpy angry

bythepowerofgreyskull Fri 03-Oct-08 18:01:44

I put a layer of buttercream (thin layer) onto the cake first then smooth it with the smoothers but alot of the smoothing is done with the warmth of my hands. but then finished off again with the smoothers.

I think icing the board at the same time makes it look more polished.

Cocobabe Fri 03-Oct-08 19:36:38

Greyskull - thanks x , yeah i think it makes sense - but i suspect I wont be good as you !

geraldinetheluckygoat Sat 04-Oct-08 15:19:27

ah, I havent ever tried smoothing the buttercream with smoothers, Ill give it a try, your cakes look really great!
cocobabe, have you decided on a plan of action yet?

bythepowerofgreyskull Sun 05-Oct-08 20:27:45

OOOh no sorry not smoothing butter cream with soothers.. the sugar paste.... just re read how awful my post is.......Sorry!

geraldinetheluckygoat Sun 05-Oct-08 23:28:25

LOL, was thinking it sounded like a BRILLIANT idea, too.....I might smooth my butter cream and see what happens! grin

bythepowerofgreyskull Mon 06-Oct-08 17:29:29

I am going to be icing a football pitch cake tonight.. will give it a go smile

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 06-Oct-08 20:28:30

exciting! Let me know how it goes!!

bythepowerofgreyskull Mon 06-Oct-08 22:26:40

pitch looks great - am putting the goal posts and stuff on tomorrow.. will put picks on profile tomorrow night.

geraldinetheluckygoat Tue 07-Oct-08 15:31:57

Brilliant! Did you smooth the buttercream?!?!?!?!? lol.
I have never made a football cake, I bet I will make lots when the boys get to a certain age! I have to make an upsy daisy at the end of the month, am quite looking forward to doing a night garden cake as can go totally over the top with leaves and flowers!
Looking forward to the pics of your cake!

bythepowerofgreyskull Tue 07-Oct-08 23:48:42

pic on profile..

geraldinetheluckygoat Wed 08-Oct-08 15:37:14

I love it, it looks brilliant! Did you pipe the pitch markings? And very smooth again!! You are queen of smooth sugarpaste!! I need to practise my smoothing technique grin
Was the little boy pleased with it?

bythepowerofgreyskull Wed 08-Oct-08 22:17:04

very pleased thanks... and walked away from the birthday party with 7!!!!!!!!!!!! orders smile

geraldinetheluckygoat Thu 09-Oct-08 15:33:39

OMG, that's so great, well done!!!!!

MollyCherry Mon 13-Oct-08 13:20:25

Get a photo cake from Sainsbury's or Asda. Worth checking first in case they're a bit funny about branded stuff, but I just got one done for my DD in Asda with her photo in the middle and all the High School Musical charcters round the outside and they were fine with that. They also do them in chocolate as well as the usual vanilla sponge (both £8.99)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now