Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a good gluten free cookbook?

(8 Posts)
LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 02-Oct-08 14:07:27

I cut gluten out of my diet two months ago and feel really well for the first time in years, but my diet at the moment is rather restricted and dull. I need inspiration. And I really need cake.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 02-Oct-08 19:48:45

Anyone?

cmotdibbler Thu 02-Oct-08 19:52:24

Don't bother with the books - they are all awful. Get Nigellas 'How to be a domestic godess' and a packet of Doves Farm GF Self raising flour. You can just subsitute with that straight in. I like the cherry chocolate cupcakes a lot..

orangehead Thu 02-Oct-08 19:54:11

they have a wide selection at library

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 02-Oct-08 19:56:31

You haven't seen my local library smile

So, GF flour will work in any recipe, CMOT? That's good news.

cmotdibbler Thu 02-Oct-08 20:04:23

In terms of cake, yes. Although the taste of 'plain' cakes is obv different, so I usually make chocolate (its a hard life) or other flavoured cakes.

Pastry is tricky, but OK if you add an egg and roll out between silicone sheets.

Obv anything breadlike doesn't work generally.

What do you particularly fancy eating ?

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 02-Oct-08 20:51:41

I quite fancy making an apple cake that I have adapted from a recipe I cut out of a newspaper ages ago. It is made with diced apples, honey, ground almonds and SR flour - I will buy some GF flour and see if it works as a replacement. And I'm quite partial to Nigella's cherry choc cupcakes too!

cmotdibbler Thu 02-Oct-08 20:58:34

With the ground almonds its particularly likely to work - and will taste great.

My fruit cake recipe I use for wedding cakes etc has a good dose of ground almonds and no one can tell that it is GF

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now