Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Chicken dippers, made from 100% chicken breast????

(23 Posts)
cantpickyourfamily Wed 01-Oct-08 21:27:52

Do you think that is true? My dd is 14months and ate some tonight and loved them... But I just want to know if they are healthy enough for her to eat if I take the batter off?

I do not eat chicken myself but have bought some a few times to cook it for dd and she never eats it when I make it myself...

pinkyp Thu 02-Oct-08 00:18:59

my little boy (14months) has chicken dippers about once a week but i leave the batter on. He loves them, esp coz he can feed himself that way too.

Tinkjon Thu 02-Oct-08 11:54:00

We have the Chicken finger things (not sure of the exact name but they look like fishfingers) and I do believe the 100% breastmeat claim. There is nothing in them, including the batter, that I wouldn't be happy to give to my child, it's just that there are some fillers in there - a bit of added water, maybe some bread etc. But if you're happy with than then I think they're perfectly fine. DS (12 months) would probably struggle with chicken normally, but roast chicken is ok as that is quite moist, especially the dark meta. But the easiest way to get chicken into them is to make a pasta sauce - do a baby puree thing with chicken, veg, stock etc. and then blend it up and use as a pasta sauce for fusilli. It sticks into the grooves of the fusilli that way.

cantpickyourfamily Thu 02-Oct-08 18:42:18

pinkyp - just out of interest how many chicken dippers does your ds eat at a time?

DD ate 2 yesterday with a jacket potatoe the same size as mine... smile

mrsmalumbas Thu 02-Oct-08 18:45:01

I make my own - strips of chicken breast, marinate for about 10 mins in beaten egg, with a spoonful of olive oil and some soy sauce. Then roll in smashed up cornflakes to coat them (I smash up the cornflakes in a ziplock bag, bash them with a rolling pin). Then bake for about 10 mins. Yummy, and 100% chicken.

littlelapin Thu 02-Oct-08 18:49:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chocolateteapot Thu 02-Oct-08 18:50:01

I do the same as MrsMalumbas but with egg and breadcrumbs. You can do a batch and stick some in the freezer to use when you need them.

Ivegotaheadache Fri 03-Oct-08 18:56:47

Unless it says breast fillet pieces or such like, it is made of chicken breast, but it's not chunks of chiken breast cut up ifswim.
It's breast meat which is chopped up and shaped but I couldn't tell you why they do this and what actually goes in it that would be classed as breast meat.

Sainsburys do a pack of kids chicken nuggets which says it's made from breast fillet and when you cut it open it looks like breast pieces.

wheresthehamster Fri 03-Oct-08 19:05:09

It IS breast meat but bits of different breasts formed together and pumped up with water. It's cheap and (this is my theory) is made from those breasts that are part diseased so can't be used as 'whole' breasts elsewhere.

RedOnHerHead Fri 03-Oct-08 19:08:58

a chicken dipper is made up of 50% chicken - the other 50% is the batter and marinade - when they say 100% chicken breast meat, they mean that they don't use the rest of the chicken (the MRM that jamie oliver is always on about) it doesn't necessarily mean that they are really good - the other ingredients - the other 50% could be crap, but i have to admit, after reading the ingredients list here , they're not too bad.

RedOnHerHead Fri 03-Oct-08 19:11:15

wheresthehamster - diseased? hmm if any part of the chicken was diseased it wouldn't pass the quality assurance.

RedOnHerHead Fri 03-Oct-08 19:12:29

i don't think they would even be able to use diseased meat in dog food, wheresthehamster

wheresthehamster Fri 03-Oct-08 19:27:50

I'm only going by those expose-type of programmes about where battery chickens are kept and slaughtered. Some are deformed and diseased. The parts that are usable are cut out and used for mince and other 'nugget' type food.

Whether these places have all been closed down now I don't know but I bet loads still operate illegally. Good meat will not be used in cheap battered food, it's uneconomical to do so.

sneekpeeks Fri 03-Oct-08 19:44:24

Do you not worry about the salt levels.......and the fat contents ??????????

Easy to make own and freeze in batches and then you know just what is in them

RedOnHerHead Fri 03-Oct-08 19:50:57

sneekpeeks i agree about the salt and fat in them.

Ivegotaheadache Sat 04-Oct-08 14:37:26

I do agree with wheresthehamster, they don't use good quality breast meat in products where they chop and reshape it. Why would they need to mince it up if it were pure bits of breast?

It may be classed as breast meat, but who knows what that covers!
Unless it says chicken breast fillet on things like nuggets or kiev ect, I don't buy it.

pinkyp Sat 04-Oct-08 23:37:42

hiya can't pick your family - my son will eat about 3 pieces and i do veg with it or some times mashed potatoe so its prob about the same as ur dd is having by the sound of it. Just avoid the cheaper varietys 50 nuggets for £1 etc . He likes those birds eye fish shapes with veg in too.

madamy Sat 04-Oct-08 23:43:05

Homemade ones are so much nicer though! I marinate strips of chicken in milk for an hour or so, this seems to make the meat softer to eat. Then simply dip in a beaten egg and roll breadcrumbs/crushed cornflakes/crushed crackers etc and shallow fry.

pinkyp Sun 05-Oct-08 00:02:52

i'm sure they are, alot of things are nicer homemade.

cantpickyourfamily Sun 05-Oct-08 09:00:05

I would happily make them myself without the batter as dd does not like batter, but I did not know the chicken was minced or cut into strips as I do not eat chicken myself... Maybe that is why dd will eat them but not normal chicken breast... She is very funny about textures of food...

I make all of dd's meals from scratch and then freeze them as I do not have time to cook everyday..

So if I want to make them without the batter what would be the best thing to do as someone mentioned soaking them in milk makes them softer...

littlelapin Sun 05-Oct-08 09:06:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Thomcat Sun 05-Oct-08 09:14:45

I never feel comfortable buying the shop ones myself. Now and again is fine i'm sure but I'm so much happier watching them eat home made ones.

It's a bit time consuming but if you set aside a hour one morning then this is how I make mine:

Take 4 chicken breasts, chop up into big chunks and throw into food processor.

At this stage you can add some chopped garlic (1 clove is more than enough) and a small onion both of which you have fried off in olive oli to soften a bit.

Then mince up into a mess in processor.

I then also add 2 large handfuls of grated cheese and stir round together in mixing bowl.

Then take a bit of the chicken mess and shape into strips or balls.

Dip them into a bit of flour.

Then dip them into either -
natural yoghurt or
a beaten egg

then dip them into either
wholemeal breadcrumbs or
crushed up cornflakes

then freeze them.

Put them into small food bags so that you can pull out the 1 bag and defrost them together. So if you have 1 child put what they would eat into the one bag, don't freeze them all together as they can stick to each other a bit that way and makes defrosting individual bits tricky.

I have 1,a 2 and a 6 year old and they all adore them.

cantpickyourfamily Sun 05-Oct-08 22:05:58

hanks for the recipe, I have got a blender not a food processor, do you think the texture will come out ok??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now