Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions please for fillings for Tortilla Wraps for School Lunches

(16 Posts)
Concepta Wed 01-Oct-08 19:30:00

For a change for the school lunches I was thinking of trying Tortilla Wraps. What kind of fillings could I use. Any suggestions?

blinks Wed 01-Oct-08 19:32:49

cream cheese and ham?
chicken mayo and lettuce?
humous?

MaureenMLove Wed 01-Oct-08 19:35:24

DD has tuna mayo and salad, cheese ham and pickle, chicken and bacon mayo. Anything that she has in a sarnie really!

dooneygirl Wed 01-Oct-08 19:38:54

My kids love cream cheese, ham, and pineapple.

They also like these ones and these ones, too. I'm American, so they're in "American", but only one or 2 ingredients in each are in cups, and I don't really measure them, anyways, I just eyeball it.

Blandmum Wed 01-Oct-08 19:38:56

Hummous and salad

has to be 'moistish' IMHO

stealthsquiggle Wed 01-Oct-08 19:39:03

DS's favourite (if slightly eccentric) wrap is ham, mayo, beetroot and cucumber.

AMumInScotland Wed 01-Oct-08 20:07:36

I like ham, cheese & pickle. Or chicken, salad & mango chutney.

KristinaM Wed 01-Oct-08 20:08:41

how do you stop them getting soggy with a wet filling? or disintegrating when you roll them up?

AMumInScotland Thu 02-Oct-08 09:39:35

I find a smallish amount of pickle or chutney works quite well to hold them together, but the liquid from the salad can be a problem, specially the inside of tomatoes, so I try to only use the more solid parts, and not too much tomato or cucumber. Lettuce doesn't seem to make them go soggy as bad.

ChopsTheDuck Thu 02-Oct-08 09:41:02

dd makes a sarnie filling with is chopped tomatoes, onions, sweetcorn, egg, and tuna. Sounds vile but it's actually rather nice!

ChopsTheDuck Thu 02-Oct-08 09:42:26

when rolling, I chop the wrap in half. Roll it and tuck in the curved side as I roll, so it stays in place.

Overmydeadbody Thu 02-Oct-08 09:45:43

cream cheese, cucumber, olives, and tomatoes

humous and grated carrot

Salami, grated cheese, lettuce and tomato

Anything can be put in them though, just like a normal sandwich.

The trick is to not over-fill them, put all the filling along one side, fold the edges over, and roll up filling side first nice and tight.

VictorianSqualor Thu 02-Oct-08 09:50:47

Don't make the wrap yourself. Send them in (cut in strips) with sliced carrot, ham, cheese, cucumber, chicken type fillings and let her do them.
Dd loves making her own.

shrooms Thu 02-Oct-08 10:27:24

For a sweet one, peanut/almond butter, chocolate spread, and banana. Deeelish... shock

But we also do crunchy peanut butter and that moroccon spiced hummous, with spinach and/or grated carrots.

Also soy/quorn/meat slices with coleslaw is good.

And mine have been know to have potato salad... I know, carbs...

haggisaggis Thu 02-Oct-08 10:31:45

Oh yes - my dd likes to do her own too - but what I do is make mini wraps by cutting ruond a small bowl - so I get about 2 - 3 small wraps out of one big one. Then send in strips of ham, lettuce, chopped celery and cucumber, grated cheese etc together with a small tub of mayo.

Concepta Thu 02-Oct-08 10:36:06

Thanks everyone - lots of information - great. I will try a few out at home first with DD and see what she thinks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now