Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This sunday I am going to cook my first ever roast... ple ase help me!!!!!

(42 Posts)
lunavix Wed 01-Oct-08 18:03:33

I have got a chicken, that's it (so far!)

what do I do? was thinking maybe potatoes, broccoli, swede and carrots.

Any advice greatly appreciated, including timings, gravy and yorkies, and any tips on making it that bit scrummier...

Tyke1 Wed 01-Oct-08 18:23:34

put some grated cheese into your mashed potatoes

SmugColditz Wed 01-Oct-08 18:30:47

Ok, for the first one, go for simplicity.

get some frozen Yorkies (I can never make them work, despite cooking roqst for 15 years)

put the potatoes on to boil when your chicken first goes in, and give them about 8 minutes hard boil. Shake them in the pan to rough the sides and salt them a little. Then, about 45 minutes before the chicken is cooked, dump them into a deep pan of hot hot hot goose fat.

Steam your veg if you can but if not, boil them with a stock cube. boil the swede and carrot together, cook it until quite soft, then add butter and pepper and mash it. Cook the broccoli just until the stem is tender - about 5 minutes? as it doesn't hold together well.

Cook the chicken for half an hour a pound plus 20 minues on the end. Check it is cooked with a skewer deep into the thigh.

Don't panic if your veg or potatoes are ready a bit too soon, you can hold them in dishes in the bottom of the oven

NorthernLurker Wed 01-Oct-08 18:35:03

You could shove a lemon into your chicken?
I always start it off with foil over and then take that off for the last 20 minutes to brown up. Swede will take longer than carrots and broccoli takes practically no time at all. So I would work out what time you want to eat and then put the roast potatoes in the oven about 45 minutes to an hour before that time (depending on size of potatoes and your ovens speed) - boil them for maybe ten minutes or less first and make sure the fat is really hot. Then swede might take 30-35 minutes (and you need a sharp knife for chopping the thing!) so that would go on perhaps ten minutes after the potatoes and then carrots ten minutes after that and the broccoli ten or fifteen minutes after that.
If it's your first attempt I would be very tempted to buy yorkshire puddings and save yourself the stress!

NotCod Wed 01-Oct-08 18:35:27

glass plates anywone?!

NorthernLurker Wed 01-Oct-08 18:35:49

x post smugcolditz - glad to see someone else cooks roasties in the same way I do! grin

lunavix Wed 01-Oct-08 18:41:21

colditz - deep pan of goosefat in oven? and where does one get goosefat and what if one is on slimmingworld? grin

lunavix Wed 01-Oct-08 18:41:44

tyke - mashed potatoes??? It's a roast dinner!!!

bumbling Wed 01-Oct-08 18:45:39

Chicken 20 minutes a pound plus 20 minutes. Keep the breast moist, if you can face the calories smear the breast with butter and put an old butter packet (one of the paper ones not a tub!) over it and then take it off for the lat 30 minutes so the skin goes crispy. If no butter packet just get it out of the oven every 20 minutes or so and baste it, ie pour the juices in the bottom of the pan back all over the bird. Let the chicken stand for 15-20 minutes before you carve and adjust your timings accordingly. Let's the joices all go through the bird and the meat kind of settles so it's more tender. We like Thyme on ours and sometimes just do it with home made oven chips, basically roasties but with olive oil. Don't forget the gravy. Use the juices from the chicken when it's cooked, save some of the water etc from boiling your veg, add a bit of wine, salt and pepper and simmer while chicken is settling. Add flour/cornflou if you like thick gravy and turn the heat up to get it to the right consistency. If you can manage it you can cook the gravy in the dish that had the chicken and or roasites in so you get all the flavour from all the little bits. Sieve if you hate th ebits. Enjoy!

bumbling Wed 01-Oct-08 18:47:05

Goose fat in all main supermarkets. Not good for every day but makes HUGe HUGe difference to roasties. I use to to make veg soup etc too instead of olive oil to add a bit more flavour. Will make the gravy Unbelievable.

beanieb Wed 01-Oct-08 18:49:11

How strange, I was always told to put roast potatoes into cold fat and then into the oven!

bumbling Wed 01-Oct-08 18:50:55

My mum always did it that way but Dh does them into hot fat. And both just put raw potatoes, not par boiled in. Think it depends, might be a bit like the magic recipe for a poached egg, everyone has their own!

Tyke1 Wed 01-Oct-08 18:52:57

i always do mash with 'roast' dinner but hey each to their own

beanieb Wed 01-Oct-08 18:54:30

Tyke - do you ever do roasts at all then? Biggest problem I have is the oven not being hot enough for the roasts while the meat is still in there.

bumbling Wed 01-Oct-08 18:59:10

BeanieB, dare I say it but could be worth trying hot fat to help your roaties get there in time... Please don't flame me if I'm on sacred roastie ground!

Tyke1 Wed 01-Oct-08 18:59:25

yes but always put meat in for about half hour to let oven warm part boil potatoes then put in warm oven

Iworryalot Wed 01-Oct-08 19:02:22

for great roast pot .
I do this and there always a hit everyone always asks how i get them so crispy ..

i do this ..

only use Maris pippers potatoes .

peal and cut in half .

part boil till slightly soft .

strain and put back in pan .

put lid on pan and give a gently shake .

they will begin to look a bit flufy .

put into very hot fat i use veg or olive oil .

spoon over all pot .
put in hot oven till brown and crispy turning once and recover with excess fat

REMEMBER NOT TO PART BOIL FOR TO LONG AS IF TO SOFT WHEN OU SHAKE THEM IN PAN WILL ALL TURN TO MUSH .

there a hit for me any way .... good luck

beanieb Wed 01-Oct-08 19:03:57

Lol - next time I am going to use hot fat, then if it goes wrong I'll be back to have a go wink

I think I will try it though!

Overmydeadbody Wed 01-Oct-08 19:04:16

beanie the potatoes need to go into hot fat, to seal them and stop them absorbing the oil.

Americans often do roast meals with mashed potato.

When you've cooked the chicken, take it out of the oven and give it 20 minutes resting time, covered in foil, while you wack the oven up to top temp to finish off the potatoes.

While this is happening, you make the gravy: Take the chicken out of the roasting tin (put it on a warm platter). Heat up all the juices in the roasting tin on the hob, add flour to the juices, whisk to a smooth paste with no lumps, add stock, flavouring (soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, redcurrant jelly) to the roux and kep whisking, adding extra liquid to get the gravy the right thickness if it isn't already.

Overmydeadbody Wed 01-Oct-08 19:06:15

Iworryalot LOL at 'part' boil grin

That is very funny

beanieb Wed 01-Oct-08 19:06:22

oooh - gravy!

harpomarx Wed 01-Oct-08 19:09:39

listen to omdb, she talks sense wink

wine in gravy is good too, or sherry or martini... whatever you fancy having a snifter of while you're cooking really!

roasted carrots are really nice too.

and cooking the veg around the chicken is good too - I actually prefer my potatoes and veg roasted around the chicken, loads of onion, garlic, lemon and olive oil. Not your trad roast but bloody delicious.

Overmydeadbody Wed 01-Oct-08 19:15:35

mmmm oh yes I aalways put loads of shallots in with the chicken and also sometimes slice up an apple and layer the bottom of the roasting tin with it before adding the chicken. By the time the chicken has cooked the apple has turned to mush and adds a lovely flavour to the gravy <drool>

I also add whole unpeeled garlic cloves. The garlic inside turns mushy and you can squeeze it out onto the potatoes.

noonki Wed 01-Oct-08 19:17:15

Iworryalot does tatties like mine and they are always tops!

harpomarx Wed 01-Oct-08 19:17:48

and I like mash with roast too.

sometimes even do it with rice, nothing is sacred in this house.

god, I love roast chicken....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now