Talk

Advanced search

I went to our local award winning butchers today and I should have just given the chappy my PIN number..

(19 Posts)
Megglevache Tue 30-Sep-08 20:02:17

..and told him to go for it. grin

It was so ££££££££££££££££££ even though I was ordering the cheaper cuts of meat!

I felt terribly grown up going there and pretending I knew exactly the cuts of meat I needed but our local supermarket's meat is rank and always off well before the display dates.

I have just eaten some lamb stew which has been cooking for 6 hours and it's the best I have ever tasted. And I bought oxtail!

How much do you think it would have cost <nervy emoticon>

1 big pork belly (for 5)
Scrag end of lamb (12 pieces)
Beef shin (for 6)
8 (breadcrumb-less)home made sausages
6 hunks of oxtail.

Carmenere Tue 30-Sep-08 20:03:32

35-40 quid?

Megglevache Tue 30-Sep-08 20:05:41

Carmenere how did I know you'd be hot footing it on here, you big foodie you grin

edam Tue 30-Sep-08 20:08:43

If you are lucky enough to have a good butcher, ask him for ideas. My mother claims she was pretty much taught to cook by our local butcher!

Megglevache Tue 30-Sep-08 20:14:27

Really Edam, he was so lovely a proper old gent with an ancient bow tie and even older jokes and he did tell me to cook the Oxtail in red wine (a whole bottle!) for as long as I possibly could.

Perhaps next time I'm there I'll ask for some ideas on really cheapie unused cuts (not offal though)

<gag>

Carmenere Tue 30-Sep-08 20:15:15

grin Oh yes our local butcher taught me how to make sausages and used to give me sausage casings for free.

Megglevache Tue 30-Sep-08 20:17:26

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!

That you must share.

Megglevache Tue 30-Sep-08 20:18:36

Oh I forgot to say it came to £28 but that amount should be ok for about a month. It just seemed so pricey compared to the supermarket.

OhWellNeverMind Tue 30-Sep-08 20:22:07

It is pricier than the supermarket.

But sooo much nicer. I find that I add far less bisto and oxo and "flavour ehancers" to stews and bologneses and stuff when I buy from the butchers.

Carmenere Tue 30-Sep-08 20:23:33

Well he just told me what proportion of meat to fat to use, what cuts were best and what seasoning's to use.

Megglevache Tue 30-Sep-08 20:24:21

That's very true. When my mum came over in the summer she bought steak from them and would not stop raving about it saying like it tasted the way steak used to take in the olden days [bless the old folk]

OhWellNeverMind Tue 30-Sep-08 20:33:59

The only meat that I have bought from supermarket in last 18m or so is occasional Minced beef (butchers is closed on Monday and sometimes I forget to plan ahead). I can still taste the difference though...even after it has been made into a bolognese/chilli etc.

PigeonPie Tue 30-Sep-08 20:41:05

It might be more expensive, but I find I don't need to use as much. Between me and the two DSs I generally use half a chicken breast at the moment (that's until they are both eating almost as much as I do!) because they are so big and even if DH is eating with us I will only use one.

Our Butcher's ham is cheaper and much nicer than supermarket ham and the packaging is greatly reduced (one poly bag rather than the plastic 'plate' things) and it's fresh - if they run out they go and get another whole ham to put on the slicer!

I buy two or three pound bags of mince and pop them in the freezer and also buy five chicken breasts and bag them separately so that I've generally got something to dive in the freezer for.

In answer to your question though Meg, I'd have thought between £40 and £45?

Megglevache Tue 30-Sep-08 21:06:39

Maybe not as much as I thought then.

OhWellNeverMind Tue 30-Sep-08 21:07:24

I would have said between £40-50 incidently...so it sounds as though you have actually got a good value butcher.

Anyway it sounds as though you have about 30-35 portions of meat there - at less than £1 per portion for fresh quality meat that is a BARGAIN.

You couldn't buy a Gregg's sausage roll and fruit shoot per person for that and think of the relative nutrtional value grin.

Megglevache Tue 30-Sep-08 21:09:34

Blimey, when you put it like that. grin

PigeonPie Tue 30-Sep-08 21:58:20

Meg, I didn't see your post about how much you paid! That's a bargin - keep going there.

In fact I know that I've been going to buy meat at our butchers for a while now because the owner always calls me Mrs PigeonPie :-) - even though I'd be quite happy him calling me by my Christian name. Actually, it feels like I ought to be my Mother's age grin

NorthernLurker Tue 30-Sep-08 22:01:22

I think £28 is very reasonable. I've been buying meat from the butchers at the farm shop for a while now and have found consistently that it is similar prices or indeed cheaper than supermarkets and the quality is amazing!

Megglevache Wed 01-Oct-08 10:18:50

You are spot on about the quality. The meat does look so different compared to the pre wrapped which I have always benn used to.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: