Talk

Advanced search

need chicken casserole recipes - dh addicted to chicken!

(13 Posts)
IHeartIona Tue 30-Sep-08 14:33:32

pls share any good chicken casserole dishes perhaps with tinned tomatoes - my dh loves his chicken....

Elasticwoman Tue 30-Sep-08 14:47:19

ds favourite: use small pieces: drumsticks, thighs. Put small amount sunflower oil in large frying pan, fry chicken tilled browned all over. Add a couple of tbspoons white wine vinegar. Let it steam and hiss for about 3 mins. Mix together fresh chopped rosemary and several crushed cloves of garlic and add to chicken, along with a glass of white wine. Grind some black pepper on, put closely fitting lid on and turn the heat down so that it simmers for 40 mins or more. I often add chopped mushrooms in the last 15 mins or so.

WhirlingStirling Tue 30-Sep-08 15:02:36

Nigellas Chicken alla cacciatora - here is quick (from her Express book) and includes tomatoes.

IHeartIona Tue 30-Sep-08 16:05:58

thanks elasticwoman - that sounds good. when do the toms go in?

thanks whirling will take a look!

sorry for short post at first, my dd woke up and then we had a nap together...

Elasticwoman Tue 30-Sep-08 21:34:51

Toms don't go in. Sorry.

scaryteacher Wed 01-Oct-08 08:16:58

Brown chicken stew

I use boneless skinless thights (only type you can get in Belgium).

Chop thighs into pieces and fry in olive oil/butter/sunflower oil until faintly brown. Remove from pan. Put in veg of choice (I use sliced leeks, carrots, onions, courgettes /whatever I have) and cook until softened. Put in flour to soak up liquid and stir it around and cook until the flour is brown. Pour in stock of your choice (and I put in some white wine if I have it) to make a sauce, stirring until there are no flour lumps in the sauce. Put the chicken back in and stick in the oven until the chicken is cooked (at about 180), or leave it to simmer on the stove. I add some fresh thyme (if my plant is alive) or dried oregano at this point as well.

I also add frozen sweetcorn towards the end, and sliced mushrooms. I have also wilted spinach into it, but ds doesn't like spinach, so not often.

I've been making this for so long, that I've lost the recipe, so it's by the mark one eyeball for how much stock etc.

I sometimes add a dash of tabasco, some soy and worcester sauce if I'm feeling I want a bit more heat in it.

It freezes well, and is great with jackets or mash. I serve it with peas/beans, and ds eats it quite happily and doesn't moan about the veg (I thought by almost 13 he's have got over green is poison, but not so).

BlingLovin Wed 01-Oct-08 11:50:06

I did one the other day which was delicious and fantastic <preen emoticon>...

Fry chicken to brown it, then fry chopped onion. Throw into casserole dish with wine, stock, fennel seeds, general mixed herbs and <fabulous additional ingredient> a star anise or two. Also chuck in a couple of whole peeled garlic cloves. [if you wanted to, I see no reason why you couldn't use some tomatoes and reduce the wine/stock at this point].

Cook at low temperature for about an hour, then add butternut chunks and a tin of drained chickpeas and put back in oven until cooked.

Stir in spoon of plain yoghurt at end (possibly skip that step if using tomatoe).

IHeartIona Wed 01-Oct-08 14:47:57

these sound nice - thanks scaryteacher and blinglovin.

elasticwoman - never mind! I used your recipe and added wine and toms together and it was very tasty in any case so cheers

Elasticwoman Thu 02-Oct-08 12:03:50

Wine and toms together - interesting.
Of course we all know that cooked or processed toms best thing to keep our dhs' wedding tackle in good working order.

WendyWeber Thu 02-Oct-08 12:10:26

Chicken with cherry tomatoes & bacon:

This is lovely but needs skin-on breasts (it's a Jamie one from Sainsburys ages ago).

In flattish dish (lasagne type is perfect) lay chicken breasts on the bottom, fill in the gaps with cherry toms (cram them in!) & then put squidged-up bits of streaky bacon on top of the toms.

Sprinkle some crushed garlic & rosemary sprigs over the top, pour olive oil over the lot, & bake at about 200 for around an hour, or cooler & longer if you have time - the chicken is always really juicy, with gorgeous crunchy skin, & the olive oil/garlic/chicken juice/tomato juice turn into a beautiful sauce (not a lot of it mind you, but you can always add more olive oil before the end)

I think you could do probably do it just as well with skinless breasts with the bacon laid over them but we lurve the skin smile

BlingLovin Thu 02-Oct-08 12:57:03

Still haven't tried it Wendy... but am looking forward to it!

WendyWeber Thu 02-Oct-08 14:45:17

Really, BL? I feel a bit blush that I keep posting it but it's so delish - had it again this week & we were all drooling over it grin

BlingLovin Thu 02-Oct-08 15:56:40

No no, I'm going to do it. It's just DP's weirdness about roasted tomotoes that has put me off slightly. Am waiting for next time I have girls round or something similar, or am home alone...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now