Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

E numbers

(7 Posts)
Niddlynono Mon 28-Feb-05 14:58:49

How vigilant are you about checking the ingredients of food for your children?

I'm quite strict with DS (2.5ys). I never go shopping without my Dirty Dozen card (listing 12 e-numbers/ingredients which are bad for children) and won't let him have sweets, crisps or chocolate at all or too much sodium, sugar or processed food (inc. white bread). I reckon other mums think I'm barking mad though.

While other toddlers are tucking into their crisps and biscuits DS will happily eat grapes, rice cakes and olives so I don't think he feels deprived or anything but I get embarrassed declining food offered by other people because I don't like him eating it.

I know he's my son and it's up to me what he eats but I still feel uncomfortable sometimes.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

amynnixmum Mon 28-Feb-05 15:00:57

I never used to worry too much but recently we found out that ds has certain senstivities to stuff like this and have had to cut them out of his diet. luckily both sets of grandparents have been great but it is difficult sometimes when we keep having to say no to biscuits etc.

99redballoons Thu 03-Mar-05 10:48:25

Hi bexibooboo, I too look at ingredients and try to home bake ds' biscuits and cakes as much as possible, but feel it's ok for the odd 'naughty' item to be consumed. What he gets on an outing (eg. zoo or whatever) or at other friends houses might not be what we have at home and therefore can't ask for it regularly and sees it more as a treat. One of the hardest to say yes or no to is jelly! Saying all that, I'm not sure which are the top e-numbers to aviod. Would you mind publishing your list or do you know a good website about this stuff? TIA

Niddlynono Mon 14-Mar-05 14:56:25

Hi 99, sorry I've only just checked this thread again but here's the Dirty Dozen list. I hope you find it useful.

mamadadawahwah Mon 14-Mar-05 15:00:29

Hi, just to let you know, coffee, white sugar, peanut butter (not organic) and raisins have the most pesticides and refinery, i.e. bad stuff. (especially peanuts and raisins!)

99redballoons Wed 16-Mar-05 14:12:57

great, thanks for the info!

Yes, my ds LOVES raisins, but we only get Crazy Jacks as they don't use anything on their dried fruit. They're a bit hard and funny coloured, but ds is happy with them (especially the apricots).

littlerach Wed 16-Mar-05 14:27:21

I have always encouiraged DD1 to have minimal amounts of junky stuff, and she does eat fruit instead of sweets and crisps quite happily, even at pre school lunchtime. She also has water to drink, and doesn't mind at all.
Yes, some people have said I am mean, in a jokey way, but many are envious that I stuck to it. She does get juky stuff in moderation, and tried her first fruit pastill on Saturday!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now