Talk

Advanced search

Recipes for a fussy eater - i am so booorrrreed of what we eat!!

(27 Posts)
CapricaSix Sat 27-Sep-08 12:32:16

In an ideal world I'd also like to be able to expand the varieties of veg dd will eat as it actually is (i.e. not hidden) but that's not my primary aim atm!

She eats, as they are:
Carrots (raw (but not grated unless in bolognaise, for some reason) or cooked)
Mushrooms (raw or cooked)
Peas
Sweetcorn
Potatoes (any form)
Sweet potatoes (we usually cube & fry in oil - YUM)
Beans (not green beans, she used to like them but i'm an Abel & Cole woman and by the time they were back in season again she decided she didn't like them )

Have finally accepted the fact that she Does Not Like Broccoli, having spent most of her life persuading her to eat it.

She does, however, like these sorts of recipes:
Cauliflower (and broccoli) cheese
Broccoli & cheese soup
Some other soups, if flavour not too pronounced (but doesn't usually eat much of it)
Spag bol/shepherds pie (i include grated carrot, mushrooms, beans)
Lentils & rice (with onions, carrots, tomatoes, could also add celery, leek etc & whizz)
Green lentil/potato soup
Noodle soup/noodles - as long as it only has veg she likes. Onions have to be VERY discreet in this kind of thing.
Hidden veg (i.e. whizzed) pasta sauce (courgettes, mushrooms, tomatoes)
Usual fare like sausages & mash, chicken nuggets & chips etc. Can add other root veg to mash. Bakes beans/cheese/tuna on toast or jackets etc.
Thankfully she likes fish (most kinds, fresh or tinned) & tuna - fresh fish normally with carrots, potatoes, peas, or tuna mayo pasta with sweetcorn. - she loves capers too! Oh and olives. So I sometimes do a tuna rice salad thing with olives, beans, raw mushrooms, raw carrot, etc.
Sandwiches - cheese, chicken, ham (without any salad tho)
Pancakes for a sweet
& yorkshire pudding for roast type dinner.

Has anyone any other ideas based on those sorts of things?
TIA - I'm hungry so am off to have lunch now!!

CapricaSix Sat 27-Sep-08 12:42:41

Having re-read my post, it does sound a lot better than it feels like in my head! grin
Am so chuffed that she likes fish, for example. And beans are good, i don't use them often enough. I think it's the lack of green veg that gets me down. And I WISH she liked salad.

The only fruit she eats btw is bananas & raisins. She used to like home made fruit puree but I haven't made it for ages, it feels a bit babyish now she's older - but she has actually asked me to make some again so we'll see how we go!

Overmydeadbody Sat 27-Sep-08 12:42:57

I'm really sorry, but with that list she certainly doesn't sound like a fussy eater!smile

If she doesn't like broccoli she doesn't like broccoli. It doesn't matter.

DS doesn't eat potatoes, in any form whatsoever, never liked them froom a baby. I respect that and work around it.

How about fish pie with a potato and sweet potato topping? Always goes down well with kids.

Home made pizzas?

Overmydeadbody Sat 27-Sep-08 12:46:26

She definately is not a fussy eater, make sure you don't label her as one.

How old is she?

Remember that children need at least 15 exposures to new food/tastes before it tastes 'normal' to them and they start to like it.

CapricaSix Sat 27-Sep-08 12:47:04

Thanks, LOL I was just coming on to say oh yeah she also likes pizzas! We've had loads of fun making them ourselves with all the toppings she likes, and then sitting down & watching a film!

I am totally respectful of what she does & doesn't like, omdb, i even never put anything she doesn't like on her plate, even though i keep reading that you should keep offering. My mum does it and it sometimes even puts her off the whole meal entirely. When i was a child I was really fussy too and i used to hate it when my parents cooked things that i really didn't like. in my teens i would pick at my dinner & just go hungry. So I was determined never to be like that with dd, i want to offer her stuff she will definitely like & want to eat. If that's "pandering" (which some ppl think is unnecessary) then so be it.

Re the broccoli, i was sad to let it go because it used to be the one green veg that dd was happy to eat.

suzywong Sat 27-Sep-08 12:48:57

my GOD if my "fussy" eater had eating a fraction of the list given by the OP I would be skipping down the road clicking my heels singing zippatydoo dah for the last 4 years

Still, it's not a competitionis it, suzywong.

<does ujai breathing and the lotus in effort to calm down>

Good luck

CapricaSix Sat 27-Sep-08 12:50:12

She's recently turned 5. Yes i have definitely always labelled her a fussy eater, so i will stop doing that!!

I blame the HVs, when dd was 8mo as far as i was concerned dd was doing really well, but then they started on about her slow weight gain & telling me to get the solids down her & cut down the milk. I WISH i'd had MN back then, I'd've been told about the charts being unsuitable for bf babies & also about BLW, because from then on the stresses started, i was mixing everything with baby rice & potato so that she would eat more of it when i should have just been chilling out, letting her try all sorts of things and not worrying about her weight at all!

Overmydeadbody Sat 27-Sep-08 12:52:03

I wouldn't call it pandering. If you where cooking for an adult you would try to make something you knew they liked wouldn't you, and not give them something they didn't like?

It really does sound like you don't need to worry and are doing all the right things. Like adults, children don't like certain foods, and there is nothing wrong with that.

ew food/tastes etc could be offered at the begining of the meal in a seperate littel bowl? I do this with DS, say to hi just try it to see if you like ot or not. He always does, and either likes it or doesn't, and that is that. He then gets on with eating the rest of the meal without any distress.

I think you don't need to worry, by all means make new meals using the foods she likes, just to get her used to variety, and if she doesn't feel under pressure to eat it she probably will.

You sound like you're doing a great job btw. DS doesn't eat that much variety and is in no way a fussy eater.

CapricaSix Sat 27-Sep-08 12:53:49

Thanks.
It's obv my own issues. It's funny, i had no idea i had any issues with food at all until I had dd ! i've never really thought much about it, just eaten what i wanted when i wanted, no weight issues, no paranoia about health etc (though i had got into proper cooking etc pre-dd). Food became this whole big monster around that 8mo mark. and it so didn't need to be - and still doesn't.

ok, so dd isn't fussy, but she def HAS always had a tiny appetite (more so when littler), i can say that with absolute confidence!!!

....i'm going to chill out about it. Thanks! Nothing like MN to give you a reality check huh... Recipe ideas welcome though!

Overmydeadbody Sat 27-Sep-08 12:54:23

Right: Banish the fussy eater label as of today! Embrace the new label of 'great eater' on your DD. She's doing fine!smile

Seriously.

Fussy eaters are the ones who eat maybe three or four foods and nothing else.

Labels can become self-fulfilling prophesies, don't do it.

Be proud of your DD's great relationship with food!

TrinityRhino Sat 27-Sep-08 12:55:47

There is no way that child os a fussy eater
please dont label her as one and please be a little thankful that she isn't

Overmydeadbody Sat 27-Sep-08 12:56:33

Nothing wrong with a tiny appetite, children have tiny stomachs and don't need to eat huge portions. Just don't make her finish everything on her plate, let her regulate when she stops eating because she's full, rather than because her plate is clean.

You sound like you have a healthy attitude to food, just some misguided advice from the HV! That was a long time ago now though.

notsoteenagemum Sat 27-Sep-08 13:07:56

Congrats on the great eater!!
Wha about a non spicy chilli, my two love this mince, onion,cardamom pods, ground cumin and ground corriander fried off then add tinned toms, and what ever beans you like simmer aas long as you like.I take the kids out and stir in dried chilli for me and DH
serve with rice, sour cream, cheese, nachos, jacket potato whatever .

CapricaSix Sat 27-Sep-08 13:17:53

Thanks. I know it was a long time ago, omdb, just wanted to explain the history!

Re tiny appetite, i got over that a long time ago. I never make her finish everything on her plate, the clean plate approach makes my skin actually crawl. Besides, part of the reason she eats small amounts is because I'm liberal with snacks (healthy snacks i mean - dd can help herself to her snack fridge when she likes unless i literally cooking a meal at that moment). The only time I get really frustrated is if she has one mouthful at dinner time and that's it - esp if she then wants pudding! (Pudding is banned in this house for this reason, on the whole - we have puddings at other times of the day, or sometimes if we've both eaten everything & we're still hungry.)

That sounds yum, notsoteenagemum. Ages ago I did a chicken curry (albeit mild) and was amazed that dd liked it. Never got round to repeating it though!

I feel a bit embarrassed about the fussy label now -i do know better, i have read fussy eater threads before! blush

Overmydeadbody Sat 27-Sep-08 13:33:02

I don't tend to do puddings after a meal either.

Browse the recipe section of MN at the top of the page, it really is full of good recipes and suggestions, you'll probably get some good ideas for variety there.

I have found, if I want to try something new, DS is more enthusiastic and happy about trying it if he's been involved in the cooking of it and preparation, discovering new ingredients together, trying new things together, and him feeling he has contributed to the meal.

I love making stir fries, but DS was very adamant they had to be very simple, so I bought him some children's chop sticks and got him to cook a stir fry flavoured wih black bean sauce. The responsibility of being in change of cooking this new meal coupled with the fun of eating it with chop sticks meant DS tried it enthusiastically and then ete it all! He will now eat most stir fries provided he can eat it with chop sticks (which takes aggggeeees)

baiyu Sat 27-Sep-08 13:34:36

((gatecrashing the thread - OMDB, your tagine is in my oven (in three small pots cos I don't have a casserole dish big enough and it smells AMAZING! Thank you smile))

CapricaSix Sat 27-Sep-08 13:46:19

Thanks. I love stir fries but we hardly ever do it. Apart from anything else, it is something you need to remain uninterrupted at the stove for! grin

I do keep meaning to involve dd but i'm a bit lazy about it! i had an enlightening conversation with her not long ago after yet another tea time row (related to her just refusing to come to the table full stop and then refusing to eat anything at all), I actually asked HER why she didn't want to come & have tea and what SHE thought would solve the problem. She answered very simply & easily:

1) It's boring, I want to carry on playing. Solution - play more games like I Spy, Word Association etc, at the table.

2) I want to help cook it. - Problem easily solved!

3) I want to choose what we have. - She will now have 2 or 3 options.

4) Sometimes we have pudding, and i only want to eat the pudding - Pudding back to being banned outright! grin

It was such a cool conversation cos all the stuff that I actually already knew came from her and really focused me properly on the solutions again. It's so easy to forget that at dd's age you CAN ask them for the answers!!

SmugColditz Sat 27-Sep-08 13:49:08

Fussy eaters don't like recipes.

However, your daughter doesn't sound fussy - she sounds like a child, as opposed to a 38 year old administrator. This is a perfectly normal diet for a child.

Overmydeadbody Sat 27-Sep-08 14:40:25

Oh baiyu that is great! I'm so gald someone is trying one of my recipes!grin

Hopw you have a great day!!

Mammina Tue 30-Sep-08 20:19:58

Caprica you don't know how lucky you are!! I wish my DD would eat even a fraction of what your Dd does!

CapricaSix Thu 02-Oct-08 20:12:18

Thanks migola - i do now. Anyway, the thread wasn't really supposed to be about that, i stupidly used the word fussy, all i wanted were some more ideas of what we could eat using the stuff dd will eat!

LadyG Tue 09-Jun-09 22:08:48

Bouncing this because mine really is a fussy eater...I am going back to work 3 days/week next week and trying to do a meal plan. My mum will be doing some of the childcare so I need to have stuff in the freezer she can get out and do quickly. DS is nearly 4, coeliac and will eat, (gluten free of course) pasta with pesto and bolognese (both of which I make and freeze with lots of 'hidden' veg in bolognese yadda yadda), gnocchi with pesto-again I make the flipping gnocchi but is a faff, salmon in the form of home-made fishfinger type things or fishcakes, meatballs with tomato sauce and GF spaghetti, rice with beef stew, plain grilled chicken(marinated with garlic and yoghurt) only if
bribed encouraged with home-made oven chips. used to eat GF sausages now 'gone off' them, used to like risotto, again now 'gone off' risotto, roast chicken dinner. No vegetables other than sweetcorn unless hidden in sauce stew (again used to have carrots and peas but now-no to carrots and peas. Hates mash. Hates omelettes/tortilla. Will eat home-made pizza but again a bit of a faff when working especially as neither DS or I eat it.
Will eat apples grapes satsumas blueberries but no other fruit. Oh and a cheese sandwich/roll with GF bread and butter but nothing else. No houmous, no ham, no cream cheese no peanut butter.
Oh and of course GF cake is always acceptable home-made or otherwise. But not savoury muffins. Oh no.
The baby, who is 10 months old, will eat anything bless her and usually gets either what he's having or our leftovers although no doubt she will get picky later on.

I know I know I know-he is probably getting enough nutrition but I am desperate to broaden his tastes so I can cook more stuff that we can all eat,even if not at the same time, and would prefer not to spend so much time coating little bits of fish and chicken in crushed cornflakes.

So my question is -if you have a fussy eater or experience of fussy eaters (friends kids cousins etc) what is your fail safe preferably home made,preferably freezable or easy to prepare meal?

LadyG Tue 09-Jun-09 22:13:40

Sorry to be so long-winded and thanks to the OP and apologies for hijacking your thread!

LadyG Wed 10-Jun-09 06:31:22

bump

LadyG Wed 10-Jun-09 23:07:06

Anyone????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now