Talk

Advanced search

How long to keep cold meat?

(8 Posts)
southcoaster Fri 26-Sep-08 17:13:55

DH eats a lot of cold meat so I want to make my own instead of buying packets with 3 slices only. So once I've got cold roast beef and cold am, how long can I keep it, how long is it safe to eat?

sneekpeeks Fri 26-Sep-08 21:02:40

We keep cold meat in an airtight container for 3-4 days

lucysmam Fri 26-Sep-08 21:04:31

I would have thought a few days as well. But . . . If you are cooking it to slice yourself you may be able to cook, slice, cool and then freeze. Thus making it last longer

But check with someone a bit more experienced than me!! Am new to this cooking lark!

southeastastra Fri 26-Sep-08 21:08:02

until is smells grin

Bramshott Fri 26-Sep-08 21:10:52

OOh - we have the same idea! I have bought a chicken with this in mind - plan to roast it, slice it and use it for sandwiches rather than those crappy packs which make 1 lunch and cost half the price of a whole chicken!

DH and I have disagreed over whether it would be okay to freeze the cooked meat though - he says no because it won't be cooked after defrosting, but reckons it will keep in the fridge for up to a week. I don't see any reason we can't freeze it.

AMumInScotland Fri 26-Sep-08 21:15:32

I often cook a ham joint at the weekend for DS to have cold for lunches, and it is absolutely fine for a week in an airtight container in the fridge.

lucysmam Fri 26-Sep-08 21:19:30

I personally would freeze any you don't think will be used within the week in that case. I go through loads of meats for my oh too & tend to cook a chicken, strip it, keep out enough for the week & freeze the rest in meal sized portions to use for something else.

southcoaster Sat 27-Sep-08 13:30:07

Thanks ladies, freezing is a good idea, hadn't thought of that. Might check with the butcher again as to how long to keep it but I also thought about a week would be fine. I guess I'll freeze it and then take out smaller portions as and when needed and defrost it overnight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now