Talk

Advanced search

Two organisational questions, labelling stuff, and preparing veg

(16 Posts)
MarlaSinger Thu 25-Sep-08 15:58:30

1. How far in advance would you be prepared to chop and keep veg for dinner, eg peppers, courgettes etc for a lasagne, or carrots, broc etc to go with something - to keep in lock and lock containers in the fridge - is 3, 4, 5 days too much?

2. If you batch cook and use lock and lock or similar how do you label them in the freezer? At the moment I don't know what's what so it can be a bit of a surprise, I just know that top shelf = goes with pasta and bottom = goes with rice - not very organised...

MarlaSinger Thu 25-Sep-08 15:59:11

oh and maybe even peeling pots for mashing, how long would you keep

am back to work and keeping going 'shit, we've nothing for dinner'......

missmama Thu 25-Sep-08 16:12:51

CAnt help with the timings but I write directly on those pots with the pens you use to write on CDs. Stays on great in the fridge/freezer but comes off easily in soapy water.
I also batch cook and freeze if I have spent time chopping.
You can freeze mash, but pots dont keep well in the fridge.

MarlaSinger Thu 25-Sep-08 17:23:48

Oh thanks, I thought that would be permanent, I'll give it a whirl.

I thought pots might be a no go, and I am not fond of mash once frozen. I guess I could peel at lunchtime, given the chance, and leave in a pan of water till the evening at least - might help now and then.

MarlaSinger Fri 26-Sep-08 08:12:11

More thoughts on the veg? Am determined to be Super Organised....

KatyMac Fri 26-Sep-08 08:15:29

I buy frozen sliced peppers & mushrooms & chopped onion - they are great & have really helped me

MarlaSinger Fri 26-Sep-08 08:16:46

Ooh where from Katy?

Furball Fri 26-Sep-08 08:18:38

me katymac - I get mine (onion, pepper and mushroom) from sainsburys, so easy and you can then use as much/little as you need.

Furball Fri 26-Sep-08 08:19:14

oops should read 'me too Katymac'

KatyMac Fri 26-Sep-08 08:20:08

Tescos & Asda

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 26-Sep-08 08:32:22

Trouble is, if you peel potatoes and leave them in water you are losing all their nutritional content!

And it only takes 30 minutes to do mash - surely you can do that if everything else is sorted?

Come home, put pan of water on to boil and whilst it's boiling peel potatoes - should take you 5 minutes max.

Then while they're cooking (20 minutes) you can be doing whatever else you need to. Once you've drained them, that's the point that you can leave them for a bit if you need to - just add warm milk and then reheat in the microwave.

Or even easier, do potato wedges - they don't even have to be peeled! Just slice, season and chuck in the oven with some oil drizzled over them.

MarlaSinger Fri 26-Sep-08 08:49:42

I'm left handed and peeling potatoes seems to take forever. I am sure millions of other lefties manage fine but no matter how I do it it feels awkward. DP is a whizz though. Delegating is being organised, right?

Am going to Tesco today, I'll look out for the frozen veg, but without wanting to sound paranoid I would worry a bit about the quality - when you choose your own pepper you can see that it's not wrinkled or a bit soft etc...

But needs must!

I can't believe that I ever thought I was busy when I had no children, no DP, and 'doing dinner' involved making a bit of toast.

Furball Fri 26-Sep-08 09:41:39

marla - have you tried \linkhttp://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/acatalog/peelersopenerscorkscrews.html\http://www.anythi ngleft-handed.co.uk/acatalog/peelersopenerscorkscrews.html\left handed stuff}

Furball Fri 26-Sep-08 09:42:12

sorry \linkhttp://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/acatalog/peelersopenerscorkscrews.html\left handed stuff}

Furball Fri 26-Sep-08 09:42:37

HELP left handed stuff

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 26-Sep-08 09:50:16

Don't use a peeler - more fuss than they're worth. Just use a short bladed vegetable knife. Much easier! (As long as you keep it sharp)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now