Talk

Advanced search

I made Nigella's ham in coca-cola last night

(37 Posts)
LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 25-Sep-08 11:13:18

May I recommend people try it? Twas very nice indeed. The only downside was that I intended to have enough left for a couple of days worth of sandwiches and my greedy family all went back for humungous second helpings.

FioFio Thu 25-Sep-08 11:17:07

Message withdrawn

MamaG Thu 25-Sep-08 11:18:11

I don't know why I clicked on this really as I am a veggie

katiechops Thu 25-Sep-08 11:19:30

Was that the one with cherry coke? Did it at Christmas - lush!!

Would imagine the stock is too sweet for soup though (think Nigella recommends it for braising red cabbage). What sort of soup did you make FioFio?

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 25-Sep-08 11:20:56

I have put the stock in the fridge for the moment as I have no dried beans in the house. I have been lazily buying tinned.
I made spicy chickpeas and aubergine to go with it though, which was extremely yum (you could have had that MamaG).

travellingwilbury Thu 25-Sep-08 11:21:36

I love this as well

Her festive ham is also yummy .

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 25-Sep-08 11:21:42

No, the regular Coke. You cook dried beans in the stock to make the soup.

Aitch Thu 25-Sep-08 11:22:08

don't make the soup. it's shit.

malfoy Thu 25-Sep-08 11:22:24

I know aomeone who made lentil soup with the stock but said it was too sweet.

PuzzleRocks Thu 25-Sep-08 11:23:48

We are having gammon in cola tonight. God i'm hungry now.
Her chocolate fudge cake is fantastic too.

pgwithnumber3 Thu 25-Sep-08 11:25:14

Came I come to your house for dinner tonight please Lady? You are making things I would love to make but actually cannot be arsed to do. grin I live next door to an Italian who owns an Italian restaurant, you should smell the flavours that waft over the fence. My DH is fed up to the back teeth of Chicken Curry with Rice and Chill with Rice. <gets cook books out>

FioFio Thu 25-Sep-08 11:26:46

Message withdrawn

Aitch Thu 25-Sep-08 11:26:55

i actually don't think it's good enough to warrant wasting that much ham stock. that's a whole pot of soup you're throwing out, when you can achieve much the same effect with a muscovado sugar and mustard glaze.

Aitch Thu 25-Sep-08 11:27:44

really, fio? i thought it was inedible and looked longingly at lentils throughout.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 25-Sep-08 11:30:09

Don't come tonight, PG, you will be disappointed. I do my weekly shop on Friday so Thursday night is not the best. At the moment, there is some leftover veg lasagne in the fridge and not much else.
I think there is a pack of mince in the freezer, so pasta and meatballs is prob on the cards tonight.
Need to menu plan for next week tonight. What do you fancy?

thegrowlygus Thu 25-Sep-08 11:32:26

Love the ham, hate the soup here too!

Aitch Thu 25-Sep-08 11:39:01

kedgeree. i fancy kedgeree. grin

largeginandtonic Thu 25-Sep-08 11:42:17

I like the soup too, tis yum.

Kids did not though. We all love the ham in coke, it's a favourite here and there are never any leftovers.

Blackbean soup with lots of lime juice is the soup you make with the stock << drool >>

pgwithnumber3 Thu 25-Sep-08 12:06:54

I don't have the Nigella recipe book, does anyone mind copying the Coca Cola ham recipe for me?! <pretty please> I would love to do that.

Lady - veg lasagne will do! What time shall I come over?<wipes baby poo off her best outfit>

witchandchips Thu 25-Sep-08 12:14:11

agree with Aitch, stock is bleugh. use cider instead

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 25-Sep-08 12:32:27

I normally use cider, but the family have now voted the Coca-Cola versions their new fave.

Aitch Thu 25-Sep-08 12:39:04

you give them a vote?! shock

FioFio Thu 25-Sep-08 12:40:29

Message withdrawn

AuntieMaggie Thu 25-Sep-08 12:41:37

I have made both the ham in cola and ham in cherry cola - very yummy indeed! It also works with coke zero for the calorie conscious, and the red cabbage in the cherry coke stock is nice.

There's a recipe for ham in ginger beer I think somewhere by nigella too!

AuntieMaggie Thu 25-Sep-08 12:42:40

I have made both the ham in cola and ham in cherry cola - very yummy indeed! It also works with coke zero for the calorie conscious, and the red cabbage in the cherry coke stock is nice.

There's a recipe for ham in ginger beer I think somewhere by nigella too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now