Talk

Advanced search

Just out of interest . . .

(18 Posts)
lucysmam Wed 24-Sep-08 17:29:16

Who gives their kids pudding?

I try and make a couple of cakes and a crumble and have some stuff like jelly or angel whirl knocking about for puddings which my lo has almost every evening.

I just wondered, if you give puddings to the kids, what do you give them? & does anyone actually think they need a pudding or would you consider it a luxury?

schneebly Wed 24-Sep-08 17:31:02

I consider it a bit of a once a week treat but often after dinner they might be allowed a bisciut/yoghurt/fruit etc. If they do get a dessert it will most likely be ice cream or cake.

cyanarasamba Wed 24-Sep-08 17:31:47

I normally give nothing after lunch (but often cake/scone for afternoon snack), yogurt or fruit after dinner.

Pudding definitely unusual and tends to be when we have company.

Carmenere Wed 24-Sep-08 17:32:22

Almost never.

lucysmam Wed 24-Sep-08 17:36:15

Maybe I should only be giving her a pud as a treat then? Has been bugging me lately that maybe she has too much sweet stuff sometimes although I don't suppose a yougurt or a bit of jelly or piece of cake or flapjack would be considered too much.

Maybe I'll try no pud's starting Monday next week & just give her one on a Friday or at the weekend or something like that

castille Wed 24-Sep-08 17:39:56

Mine always have fruit and/or yoghurt.

But I very rarely make puddings and almost never on a weekday - no time. But when I was a child a piece of cake was quite normal, in fact there was always a cake on the go at home. I'm just a Mean And Lazy Mummy.

lilolilmanchester Wed 24-Sep-08 17:42:00

we only tend to have "proper" puddings when we have visitors. My DCs are big eaters and are always offered fruit and/or yoghurt after their main course. Sometimes rice pudding, bananas and custard, fruit and ice-cream, cheese and crackers. I'm a little cautious because we always had puddings after meals as a child and it took me years to get over needing something sweet after a meal.

lucysmam Wed 24-Sep-08 17:42:40

I really am in 2 minds about what to give her, if anything now.

Suppose I could always get her some new fruits to try, that would cut out me feeling like I ought to be trying to make her eat as healthily as possible and then give her a pudding pudding iykwim at weekends as a treat

noonki Wed 24-Sep-08 17:46:47

we almost always have a pudding - normally plain yoghurt with berries and honey or just fruit/dried fruit (tonight they had dried apricots)

sometimes (less than once a week) icecream

sometimes I give them the pudding as a starter.

BellaSwann Wed 24-Sep-08 17:47:43

i had one every day after tea/dinner growing up.

I hate that I don't now with mine, but it is my money saving thing - it is first to go and last to return

ByTheSea Wed 24-Sep-08 17:47:53

Mine like to have an ice lolly or a choc-ice after dinner. DH and I prefer not to have anything. As our dinners our healthy and homemade and my DC generally get at least their five portions of veg/fruit per day, I don't mind this at all. I always just buy what's on special so it doesn't break the bank.

noonki Wed 24-Sep-08 17:48:22

I try and avoid making out they are a treat (hence giving them as a first course... I even say 'if you don't finish all your pudding you won't get your dinner!'

they will be confused

georgiemum Wed 24-Sep-08 17:49:49

Generally fruit, yoghurt or fruit puree - I make cakes or puddings if feeling active.

hannahsaunt Wed 24-Sep-08 18:00:43

Mine need pudding. They eat very good helpings of main courses and they get a bit scunnered if they have only that in increased quantities to fill them up. They usually have fruit, sometimes custard or rice pudding, v rarely ice cream and a 'proper' pudding once in a blue moon. They often have supper too about an hour later. They are bottomless pits and v skinny. No harm at all.

notsoteenagemum Wed 24-Sep-08 18:03:35

Stick with the puddings! I try and do puddings DH ALWAYS had pudding as a child and gets miffed if I don't do one, I make the pudding the treat of the day DC don't have any other sweets etc really.
Yoghurt is measley for pud IMO especially as we have fruit and yoghurt for breakfast.

lucysmam Wed 24-Sep-08 20:36:36

lol noonki, I do that sometimes, but only if her dinner's too hot for her to eat first

notsoteenagemum, I see your point about it being a treat for the day. She doesn't often eat sweets or biccy's unless they're homemade and they are definately as a treat if she's been good whilst out, or when she's been to nanna's for the day or something like that.

I'm off to investigate some puddings I think, see what I can come up with

harpomarx Wed 24-Sep-08 20:41:33

I love cooking but am useless at puddings, not having much of a sweet tooth...

dd usually has fruit, yoghurt or sometimes ice cream or jelly. Her nan does the pudding bit when we go there, so it is a nice treat.

we never had puddings after every meal as kids (except at primary school dinner of course) and it's just not something I've ever really thought that important.

mammyofET Wed 24-Sep-08 20:54:03

Very rarely have puddings. Maybe have something after Sunday lunch but even then not every week.

I love baking though and a few months ago I went through a stage of making cakes / flapjacks etc but I ended up eating most of them (neither DH or DS have a sweet tooth) so I stopped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now