Talk

Advanced search

veggie child - need help

(7 Posts)
ismellofbabysick Tue 23-Sep-08 15:25:01

DD2-4.5yrs old could easily be a vegetarian. Doesn't relly eat / like meat, unlike my other 2 carnivores.
So far I've always done her the same as everyone else to see if it was a passing phase.
Now I'm concerned she's not going to get enough protein, iron etc.
She eat a good variety of fruit, can be picky on her veg.
Idea's welcome.

gothicmama Tue 23-Sep-08 15:27:12

breakfast cereal and fortified bread are good sources of iron as are green leafy veg dried apricots. Protein is in most food so it unlikely she will have a lack of protein but cheese, pulses are good sources as is quorn and soya protein

ismellofbabysick Tue 23-Sep-08 15:39:20

thanks,
she has fortified breakfast cereals. She seems to have an aversion to spinach!!!

witchandchips Tue 23-Sep-08 15:41:29

what about the meat do you think she does not like. Is it the taste or the texture?

ismellofbabysick Tue 23-Sep-08 15:49:30

not sure. She'll eat some sausages, and she'll eat mince in spag bol and sepheards pie, but that's about it.
I have to force chicken down her and she wont eat a piece of meat in a roast dinner. Even if I chop it up small.
She can be a pickey eater too
My other 2 dd's 7 + 20months eat with no problems. So it's not like she's surrounded by picky eaters

witchandchips Tue 23-Sep-08 15:58:35

guess she just does not like lumps of meat (some people never do). She might take to rissoles, meat balls, burgers, home made nuggets though. Otherwise perhaps serve proper pieces of meat with pulses and bread rather than potatoes and rice so she gets offered them but there is something else high in protein for her to eat.

It also sounds as if she is going through a picky stage. The usual rules apply. Don't draw attention to what she eats, don't force her to eat or try anything, don't offer alternatives, don't offer pudding as a reward, try to limit snacking just between meals. She will soon grow out it

MamaChris Tue 23-Sep-08 16:01:51

I'm veggie simply because I never liked the flavour of meat/fish (was also a very picky eater). Still managed to grow tall and strong, though I used to be very skinny as a teenager when I went vegan so I wouldn't have to eat eggs! Lentils, baked beans are good easy source of protein/iron. Nuts, cheese, eggs good for protein.

Because I'd be worried not to encourage the picky eating, I'd continue giving her what everyone else has, but making more food with lentils/beans and having nuts, cheese available to snack on. But this is based purely on theory. ds not quite 8 months, so have no experience except my own as a child!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now