Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

how do i crack my coconut?

(15 Posts)
estobi1 Tue 23-Sep-08 14:55:57

This might sound silly but i have never bought a coconut before!blush do i drill a hole first to let the juice out and then crack it?does it need a hammer or will a sharp knife do it? why did i do this?!

CatMandu Tue 23-Sep-08 14:57:54

don't whack it on the kitchen worktop - I tried it and we have a huge dent in it blush.

Iklboo Tue 23-Sep-08 14:58:25

On the odd occasion we bought a coconut dad drilled a hole in and drained the juice out then wrapped it in a tea-towel and wanged feck out of it with a hammer. V therapeutic.

Or - drill hole. Drain some juice out. Pour in v generous measure of bacardi/dark rum. Squeeze of lime and small measure of cola. Pop a straw in.

Refresh with juice drained earlier

Forget about rest of coconut wink

CatMandu Tue 23-Sep-08 14:58:29

terrible english - we have a huge dent in the worktop, not the coconut.

Nbg Tue 23-Sep-08 14:59:17

Only way I have ever done it is to drill a few holes round the middle.

mybabysinthegarden Tue 23-Sep-08 14:59:49

Drain the juice out first. The 'eyes' at the top are quite soft and pretty easy to pierce. If you then bake the coconut for about 10 minutes it makes it easier to crack-- though you'll still need a hammer/rolling pin/brick etc. Wrap it up in a tea towel first to keep all the bits from flying everywhere. Enjoy!

mybabysinthegarden Tue 23-Sep-08 15:01:02

Actually scratch all of that, I'd go with Iklboo's advice smile

estobi1 Tue 23-Sep-08 15:02:37

Good idea ikbloo I am with you all the way - my 3 year old might not be but what the hell!!

snorkle Tue 23-Sep-08 15:23:42

You do need to drill 2 holes, one for the air to get in and one for the juice to get out. It's easiest to do this through 2 of the 3 eyes at the top as mbitg says. I've used a corkscrew to drill into them before. After that it's a sledgehammer job - or Iklboos idea sounds good.

snorkle Tue 23-Sep-08 15:23:42

You do need to drill 2 holes, one for the air to get in and one for the juice to get out. It's easiest to do this through 2 of the 3 eyes at the top as mbitg says. I've used a corkscrew to drill into them before. After that it's a sledgehammer job - or Iklboos idea sounds good.

Leoness Sun 05-Oct-08 15:44:38

put it in the oven for 10 mins about 200c then put in teatowel and bash with hammer or on floor! -

MrsBauer Sun 05-Oct-08 16:05:26

Drop it from an upstairs window onto the patio! Then give it a rinse. Always worked for me grin

MaLopez Sun 05-Oct-08 16:13:47

Always took mine outside and dropped from a reasonable height on to the concrete. Once a crack developed, I let the water drain and then bashed them some more. A nice rince and all done!

Lilymaid Sun 05-Oct-08 16:39:45

Below is the Delia Smith method - much as other posters suggested but with a plastic bag:

How to crack a coconut

1. Dealing with a fresh coconut (which does not, I admit, look user-friendly) is not as difficult as it seems. First push a skewer into the three holes in the top of the coconut and drain out the milk and reserve it if the recipe needs it. Then place the coconut in a polythene bag and sit it on a hard surface – a stone floor or an outside paving stone.

2. Then give it a hefty whack with a hammer – it won't be that difficult to break.

3. Now remove the pieces from the bag and, using a cloth to protect your hands, prise the tip of a kitchen knife between the nut and the shell. You should find you can force the whole piece out in one go. Sometimes if the coconut is quite dry it will come away very easily.

4. Now discard the shell and take off the inner skin using a potato peeler or a sharp knife. Then rinse under a running tap to ensure the pieces are completely clean.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Sun 05-Oct-08 17:21:11

There should be 3 dark circles on one end. Use a hammer to bang a steel into the holes. Voila!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now