Talk

Advanced search

making mincemeat (for mince pies) lots of questions...

(8 Posts)
happynappies Mon 22-Sep-08 14:13:34

Right - I'd like to make my own mincemeat this year, and have a few reciped to choose from (Delia, Domestic Goddess, GHK etc).

1. Does anyone recommend a particular recipe for mincemeat?

2. Is suet necessary, or better or would veg. suet be ok, or do you miss it out?

3. Where do you buy glass jars for storage of mincemeat (haven't got enough old jars knocking around at home) and where do you get wax discs and are they essential?

Phew - thanks everyone!

Aniyan Mon 22-Sep-08 14:23:59

I made my own mincemeat one year - but I can't remember which recipe I used, though it did call for lots of brandy grin I did, however, use veggie suet (was a vegetarian at the time) and it turned out fine.

If my addled brain remembers the recipe I'll post it here for you later.

Jars? I always get that type of thing from Lakeland . They do different size jars, and all the bits and bobs including wax discs (which I use but don't know if they're essential).

The website has a 'preserving' section all of its own - they also have stores in lots of towns so you could call in if there's one near you. Thry are v good with online ordering - never had any problems with them (no - I'm not on commissiongrin)

pushchair Mon 22-Sep-08 14:31:32

Did Delia two years ago yumeeee!
Found a lot of jars were too big. Resolved to collect jam jars and umm haven't

Aniyan Mon 22-Sep-08 17:20:46

Hello again - this is the recipe I used - from a crumbly old book called 'Preserves and Pickles'.

I'm afraid it doesn't say how many jars of what size this amount will fill, though you could get a rough estimate from the total weight of the various ingredients I suppose. Also, all measurements are in ounces as it's an old book (my favourite kind smile)

If you add the alcohol the mincemeat will keep for about a year - without it it will only keep for 2-3 weeks. Use firm cooking apples as juicy apples make the mixture too moist.

1lb cooking apples (peeled and cored)
8oz shredded suet
12oz seedless raisins
8oz sultanas
8oz currants
8oz mixed chopped peel
12oz soft brown sugar
1 lemon (juice and grated rind)
1 orange(juice and grated rind)
1/2 teaspoon ground mixed spice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 pint brandy or whisky

Peel and core apples, chop finely. Wash and dry rasins, sultanas and currants. Place apples, raisins, sultanas, currants and suet in a large bowl with chopped peel, sugar, grated lemon and orange rinds, juice of the orange and lemon and the spices. Stir well. Add half the brandy or whisky, stir well.

Pack loosely into clean dry jars (I sterilised mine) and spoon the remaining spirits over the top. Seal the jars.

It was very tasty & not too boozy for little ones once it was cooked in mince pies, etc.

Might go and make some myself now grin

scaryteacher Mon 22-Sep-08 17:33:36

Delia - it works and is great. It also keeps for years if you use the alcohol in it. I've been making it for years.

happynappies Mon 22-Sep-08 22:14:37

Thanks everyone, and thanks Aniyan for posting your recipe. I'm going to try to get to Lakeland to get the jars and wax discs sorted, then I can get on - starting to feel all Christmassy already!

boogeek Mon 22-Sep-08 22:17:04

I made some last year and it was fantastic, much better than any bought stuff. I got a load of jars from freecycle, so that might be worth a go before you make a trip to Lakeland.

Aniyan Tue 23-Sep-08 18:22:12

Another place to get hold of wax discs is Post Offices - for some odd reason they always seem to sell them - look on the shelf near the elastic bands and those little polo-shaped stickers for reinforcing holes in paper smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now