Talk

Advanced search

Can i make chilli chutney as got masses of green and red chilli`s ?

(13 Posts)
fakeblonde Mon 22-Sep-08 14:02:27

I thought they were pepper seeds and they were chilli !
I have hundreds of chillis red and green and need to do something with them so we can enjoy them all year.
It needs to be something REALLY simple.
I do have tomatoes and so could i pos make chilli and green tomato chutney if not just chilli - i dont know about these things ? x

suzywong Mon 22-Sep-08 14:05:21

you will need a lot of sugar and some apples or red peppers to make chutney and vinegar too.
I make sweet chili sauce this way and the ratio of chillis to the other ingredients is surprisingly low.

If I were you I would thread them together with a needle and strong cotton and hang them in the airing cupboard for a couple of weeks then grind them to flakes and store in jars to be used as a spice/seasoning. If you keep them moisture free they will last for yonks

fruittea Mon 22-Sep-08 14:05:49

I pickled mine 3 years ago, and we're still working our way through them, they're brilliant. Never need to worry about having fresh. I got the method from the internet - hang on, I'll have a look if I can find it.

fakeblonde Mon 22-Sep-08 14:07:26

That sounds a brill idea.
Wont they just kind of go off though in airing cupboard ?
How do i gring chilli`s ? blush

suzywong Mon 22-Sep-08 14:07:29

ooh yes that's a good idea, will look at your recipe with interest

suzywong Mon 22-Sep-08 14:08:08

no they won't go off once the moisture is driven off
grind them in a food processor but they must be bone dry

fruittea Mon 22-Sep-08 14:09:22

Sorry, the formatting's terrible, but this was what I saved when I did it:

Chili peppers, like all other fruits and vegetables, are at their very best right after picking. Refrigeration will delay spoilage only for a few days. Preserving through pickling, drying or freezing extends their shelf life so you can enjoy your delicious peppers year round.

Pickling Peppers

Some of the best chili peppers for pickling and making relishes are the jalapeno, Bermuda hot, pepperoncini, sweet banana and cherry peppers. Pickled peppers can be eaten "fresh" from the jar on salads, nachos, burgers and sandwiches or can be used to spice up meatloaf and cornbread.

Pickling destroys molds, yeasts and bacteria that cause peppers to decompose. Using sterilized containers that seal prevents recontamination of the peppers after pickling. Homemade pickled peppers should be stored in the refrigerator.

Pickled Pepper Pointers

Use only fresh, unblemished peppers.

Use only unchipped enamel, aluminum, stainless steel or glass pans to heat vinegar—vinegar will react with brass, copper and iron resulting in an off taste to the peppers.

Sterilize with fresh boiling water glass jars and lids.

Jelly jars—the type with a rubber gasket—are the best type to use for pickling. If the only containers available have metal lids use squares of wax paper as a barrier between the lid and the vinegar to prevent corrosion.

Use cooking salt rather than table salt, as table salt, due to its higher iodine content, can cause the peppers to discolor.

If you choose to add spices, use only whole varieties; powdered forms will cloud the solution. Popular spices include peppercorns, chopped or whole cloves of garlic, rosemary, celery seeds, coriander seeds, and bay leaves.

Color can be added to an otherwise monotone mixture by adding whole baby carrots.

Pickled peppers are best when allowed to mature about 2 weeks.

Follow this simple recipe to make your own pickled peppers.
1 to 1½ lb. fresh chili peppers
¼ cup salt
1 to 2 heads garlic, peeled and separated into cloves
1 lb. baby carrots
White vinegar

Sterilize pickling jars and set aside. Wash chili peppers and carrots well. Puncture each pepper to prevent collapse. Bring vinegar to a boil and add carrots. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add chilies, garlic and salt. Simmer 5 minutes for crisp peppers, 10 minutes for soft peppers. Transfer vegetables to sterilized jars with a sterilized slotted spoon, leaving about ½ inch at the top. Top off with still simmering vinegar mixture. Place lids on the jars, but do not seal. Allow to cool for 1 hour. Tighten lids and refrigerate.

Drying Peppers

Dried peppers are handy for adding spice to sauces, soups, stews and chilis. One of the best things about cooking with dried peppers is that it is easy to control the heat of the dish: when it's spicy enough simply fish out the pepper!

You can dry your peppers in one of several ways: ristras, rack drying, dehydrator, or oven drying. Always use fresh, firm, unblemished peppers for drying. If air-drying, ensure that the racks or ristras are placed in an area that is dry and has good air circulation.

Ristras are the strands of dried peppers that hang in many southwestern kitchens. They can be made from red, green or yellow chilies or any combination of these. To make a simple ristra use a needle to thread the stem of each chili pepper so that the chilies form a spiral, then hang from the ceiling. Chilies drying in ristras or on racks may take several weeks to dry completely. While using a dehydrator or oven is definitely faster, the chilies don't retain the bright color seen in chili peppers that are air-dried.

Using Dried Peppers
Dried chili peppers can be dry pan roasted prior to being added to sauces for a nuttier flavor. Dry roasted peppers are especially delicious in enchilada sauce. Peppers can be rehydrated by soaking in hot water for 15 to 20 minutes and used to spice up stews and sauces. Dried peppers can be ground into chili powder using a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle.

Freezing Peppers

When freezing peppers plan ahead. How do you think you'll be using them in the future? Will they be used in something "fresh" like in salads, fajitas or tacos? Or will you use them to flavor something cooked, like your favorite chili recipe? Follow these steps to freeze peppers for later use:

Wash peppers well, selecting only those that are blemish-free and firm.

Cut out the stems and remove the seeds.

Blanch them quickly in rapidly boiling water if you plan to use them in cooked foods. [Skip the blanching if you want them fresh.]

Pat dry with paper towels or other clean absorbent cloth.

Pack into containers or zipper-seal bags, removing the air before sealing.

Freeze

fruittea Mon 22-Sep-08 14:10:21

I used the pickling recipe, and as I say, they're still going strong. I keep them in the fridge, even the unopened jars, just in case.

(I didn't use the carrots in mine)

Carmenere Mon 22-Sep-08 14:11:07

Thai Sweet chilli sauce is really easy to make and keeps well. I will find a simple recipe.

onceinalifetime Mon 22-Sep-08 14:11:08

Rhubarb, plum and chilli chutney is lovely - will try and find recipe. You can also make chilli oil which lasts for ages - I think you literally just put them in a bottle with oil - will ask my mum as she grows them and get thousands more than she can use.

Carmenere Mon 22-Sep-08 14:15:12

Here this looks good

policywonk Mon 22-Sep-08 14:19:13

Just marking thread because I did exactly the same as you fake - thought I was planting peppers. DP insisted that they were peppers for ages, until one day he decided to eat one raw to show me that it was a pepper. Now we are agreed that they are chillis.smile

PinkPussyCat Mon 22-Sep-08 14:21:35

There was a 'freezer secrets' thread on here recently where someone's tip was freezing chillies. I subsequently bunged some in my freezer, but not tried them yet...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now