Talk

Advanced search

Slow cookers users please - does it give your food a slightly unpleasant taste?

(13 Posts)
mamhaf Mon 22-Sep-08 13:55:25

I find our slow cooker extremely useful, but no matter what the recipe, there's always a slightly discernable unpleasant taste to whatever the meal is.

Does everyone who uses a slow cooker find this is the case? The model we have is over 20 years old (it was a wedding present) and has a ceramic bowl on a metal base (i.e. the bit which plugs in).

I wondered if I could substitute a cast iron casserole for the ceramic pot - if that might work and if it would solve the problem of the strange taste?

Or might a new slow cooker be better - if so, which would you recommend?

TIA

OrmIrian Mon 22-Sep-08 13:56:37

No. Not at all. How odd.

ledodgy Mon 22-Sep-08 13:58:39

No, ours is fine.

Charlee Mon 22-Sep-08 14:00:05

No mine is fine, maybe time to invest in a new slow cooker?

There is only 4 of us so we have a very basic, cheapy Argos one and it does us fine.

Smittals Mon 22-Sep-08 14:05:13

This is a weird coincidence - had a conversation with mum last week about slow cookers (how exciting) and she said the same thing. She used one back in the 70s so perhaps its a fault of the old models?

DanJARMouse Mon 22-Sep-08 14:09:26

Ours is fine.

Its the Anthony Worrell-Thompson one from argos.

Love it because it feeds 5 of us with enough left over for another meal.

AbbeyA Mon 22-Sep-08 14:11:04

No-it is fine-I use it a lot.

Paddlechick666 Mon 22-Sep-08 14:17:48

I'm on my 2nd slow cooker in 6 years. Upgraded from the smallest capacity to a medium size.

Love it, never had any "taste" issues with it other than not scoffing the lot when I ought to be freezing the leftovers LOL.

Might be time to update yours?

not30yet Mon 22-Sep-08 14:31:27

Ditto!! no problems with taste and i love my slow cooker, cant understand why more people dont use them.. :0

nellyup Mon 22-Sep-08 16:12:05

Yes! With a new one. Broke the lid on our old one which was fine and bought a new bigger one. And yes, stuff didn't taste quite right sometimes, particularly veg soups which is what I make most often. And anything cooked with the all-in-one method. I worked out that it was having it on too high - stuff was basically overcooked. No-one else noticed it, though, no matter how much I pointed it out.

expatinscotland Mon 22-Sep-08 16:13:08

no.

i LOVE ours! just made applesauce in it.

yummy scrummy.

it's just a basic Rival one.

LittleBella Mon 22-Sep-08 17:22:26

Hmm. Interesting. Yes, mine does if I use the all in one pot method. If I brown meat first, then it's OK, but if not it tastes odd. And also I find green peppers sometimes taste horrible as well from a slow cooker.

mamhaf Mon 22-Sep-08 19:43:30

Thanks. I made a beef casserole yesterday and did brown the meat first - but it still tasted a bit odd - "medieval" was how dd1 described it, although unless she's been in the Tardis I'm not sure how she knew that.

Before I invest in a new one (with a built-in timer to stop the overcooking problem), could you give me your favourite, never-fail slow cooker recipe? I'll try that first!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now