Talk

Advanced search

Tomato, tomato, tomato

(10 Posts)
georgiemum Mon 22-Sep-08 12:24:15

Any ideas for cooking up lots of tomatoes? I have been given 2 bags of lovely mixed ones, and as much as I love them in salads, even I am at a loss! I was thinking soup or chutney or even ketchup.

DaphneMoon Mon 22-Sep-08 12:30:51

You can't beat a nice tomato chutney to get you through the winter evenings, lovely with a jacket potato and cold meat or with cheese and biscuits. Never made my own ketchup but it would make a nice change.

WhirlingStirling Mon 22-Sep-08 12:31:23

You could make a roasted tomato sauce for pasta, something like this.

WhirlingStirling Mon 22-Sep-08 12:32:17

I am sure the pasta sauce can also be frozen so you could make loads and then freeze in batches.

Carmenere Mon 22-Sep-08 12:32:50

Slow dry them in the oven and then cover them with olive oil.

georgiemum Mon 22-Sep-08 12:36:39

My mouth is watering already.

OK list is:
Chutney, Roasted pasta sauce and dried with olive oil.

Thanks all!

DaphneMoon Mon 22-Sep-08 12:40:51

I roasted some cherry toms given to me in olive oil and chopped up garlic, we had them with a barbeque and they were absolutely heaven on a plate. The kids loved them too. They had gone all gooey and yummy and were devine. You could try making a pastry/pizza base and roasting the toms on top. Might try that myself.

TheArmadillo Mon 22-Sep-08 12:41:27

make big batches of tomato sauce and freeze them. Save so much time in the future.

georgiemum Mon 22-Sep-08 12:42:43

How do you stop them going all squishy in the oven?

DaphneMoon Mon 22-Sep-08 12:49:59

You can't that's what makes them so gorgeous, it was a delicious goo of tomatoes, garlic and olive oil. It would have been devine on some rustic bread. Oh crikey I have got to go and get some toms now and make this tonight!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now